Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Race fuel questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002 | 04:38 AM
|
Pro Rider

Well, I have been trying to get a good answer to the Pros and cons of Leaded vs. Unleaded race fuels. Anybody really know?

Some fuel manufactures seem to push leaded and others unleaded, why?

Anybody willing to take a shot at this?

Thanks in advance,
Swy

Old 10-06-2002 | 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Does the leaded maybe provide a little more lubrication to the engine? I am not sure, but a guess, of course this equals more pollution, being the reason why it isn't common anymore? I tried.......any seconds on that one...

Old 10-06-2002 | 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Leaded fuel protects the exhaust valve/valve seat area on older engines. Modern engines are designed to run on un-leaded fuel, so there is no reason to run it in a modern engine. Lead also helps with the octane rating. Long story short, you don't need it, but if the fuel has it, don't worry about it (unless you are really concerned about air polution).

Old 10-07-2002 | 03:21 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks ryenol and CBUS660R!

I am currently using leaded race fuel, as it is readily available locally and at a fair price. I have used speacialty unleaded in the past and I haven't noticed any difference in performance.

Obviously I am using this on a newer "built" quad that requires higher octane then premium pump fuel and I just happen to be using leaded.

Thanks again,

Swy

Old 10-07-2002 | 03:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Please don't take this as being a smart butt or anything it is not meant that way. If lead is to protect the valve area in older engines why do they still make it? I know there are alot of old cars out there but if they are running race fuel and are old they would probably have other heads that don't need the lead.

I am just trying to learn this as well.

Old 10-07-2002 | 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

I think it has to do with cost. Leaded gas is cheap to make compared to the unleaded race varieties. Lead is a great additive for gas from a performance aspect, its just that whole cancer causing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] thing that holds it back.

Old 10-07-2002 | 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Ford went to hardened valve seats in all engines in 1972. Most of these engines that are still running have had the valve seats replaced. The lead adds a lot of lubrication. Personally, if I run a non-lead race gas in a 4-stroke, I also mix in a little Klotz Uplon fuel lube. This helps the valve seats, especially with high valve seat pressures.

They found gas was leaking onto the ground, burning of gas in cars, etc, was causing lead contamination.

Old 10-08-2002 | 05:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What is it about the lead that helps performance?

<< Lead is a great additive for gas from a performance aspect >>

Does unleaded pump gas, or unleaded race fuel for that matter, have any kind of top end lube in them?

<< Personally, if I run a non-lead race gas in a 4-stroke, I also mix in a little Klotz Uplon fuel lube. >>

Thanks for the help you guys.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2002 | 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Race fuel questions.

Fuel is refined petroleum. Kerosene is the least refined, and contains the most oil base, diesel is next, then pump gas. Finally, race gas is very refined and has all impurities removed. Most of the oil also gets removed since it can hinder performance. If you run a four stroke on straight race gas, your ring life is shorter than if you run a upper cylinder lube. Klotz uplon is the best to run. I use this with alky and race gas. It burns very clean.

Old 10-09-2002 | 07:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Race fuel questions.

Thanks Alky X. Do you know of any good sites that have alot of descriptions about fuel I could read on.

Quick Reply: Race fuel questions.