Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Twist vs Thumb Throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2000, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owning a banshee, I have the stock thumb throttle setup still but have been considering getting a twist. (thumb cramps up sometimes) But that to me is a completely different feel and actually have found to be dangerous if care isn't taken. Just wanted to hear from people who actually converted and if it took a long time to get used to it and was it worth it? (Like climbing hills, jumping, racing, etc)

Old 03-31-2000, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

It's personal preferance i have used both and went back to a thumb throttle.
I think it's all what is comfortable to ride.I have heard twist throttles give you a reaction time advantage but i never saw it.they are both fun when attatched to a Banshee

Old 03-31-2000, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been so many posts on this topic that it would make a book. Just do a search on twists & you'll find as many pros & cons as you can read.

Old 03-31-2000, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well if you've always used thumb throttles you will probably not like the twist at first. But if you just keep it on there and get used to it will be better than the thumb. later

Old 04-02-2000, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

bro take my advice dont switch. they sell extended peaces that take the strain off your thumb buy that. the reason is you could easialy get hurt if you hit a jump as you slide off the back of the bike and pull on that throttle triin to pull your self back and gun it beleive me it happend to me and i landed on my back or you could end up like that dirt bike rider henry and break your back doin that. and also i feel i ride better with a thumb throttle . thats my opinion

Old 04-03-2000, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

If a thumb throttle is good enough for Doug Gust, then it's good enough for me!!

I even put one on KX250..

Waymod

Old 04-03-2000, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

Listen, I have the answer to this post. A friend of mine makes a bolt on billet aluminum lever extender. The key to this thing is that it is heavy. It gives your thumb more leverage. It is not a piece of junk. Alba Action Sports and Chapparal are both selling this thing because it is so awesome. Go to www.yakkeyracing.com. I have one of these on my bike, and I would never give it up. I would rather ride without my TCS shocks than without my thumb throttle.

Old 04-05-2000, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

well at first i HATED my twist throttle and wanted my thumb throttle back but after a week or so i loved it so much more then my thumb

Old 04-07-2000, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

I think the key here is the 4 wheeler. 4 stroke might be ok to have a twist but on a Banshee forget it unless you are a Pro. You'll get hurt with it on the Banshee too much power too fast. I have seen twist grip ones that you twist foward instead of backwards but still would not use one on mine, I like my life and I know my Banshee could throw me like I was a rag doll if I slipped up on it. I love the snappy power and respect it also...

BatMan

Old 04-07-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

the 400ex almost as fast as the banshee only about 5-10 mph faster and right now i have my 400 going faster then my friends banshee and have no problem holding on. i like it alot more then the thumb throttle

Quick Reply: Twist vs Thumb Throttle?