Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

PEP Steering Stabalizer

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2000, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess I just wanted to get some opinions on this particular steering stabalizer. I went riding this weekend in attica IN. Some small sand dunes, with some semi rough woods! Well, the guys I went riding with this weekend we're riding R's and 400ex's and a variety of other quads including an LT 500. We we're riding pretty hard at times and untill this morning 3 days later I think I can now feel my shoulders, arms and neck. My R beat me to death. I'm running pretty much the same set up as everyone else in the group including new Works suspension all the way around, but I was one of the few people that did not have a sterring stabalizer. The rest of the guys swore that it was one of the most valuable pieces of equipment you can by for a quad!! I believe them but would like to here from others that are using them now and maybe some advise before I purchase one. Oh.. and also Works suspension set up my rear shock with their bottom end with no rebound option. They set up for the previous owner at 215lbs I weigh 165 and I noticed that when riding this weekend I might have just have been riding a bull. Needless to say I think the R rode me .... probably due too to stiff of compression. I adjusted the compression dampening all the way soft with no luck!!!....Any possible explanations! Damn I love this R!

Old 04-04-2000, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the PEP damper on my Warrior, and like your friends, I wouldn't leave home without it! It is a great addition to good suspension. As you may know the PEP has 3 adjustments. Having tried all 3, I finally settled on the middle one. There are several other good dampers out there, Denton, Jas. Lucky, and Scott, just to name three. Some have multiple adjustments for those who feel they need them, and one, namely Scott, runs over $300 plus mounting hardware. For serious play riding as opposed to serious racing in different venues. the PEP or one of it's clones do a fine job at under $100.
As to your rear shock, I wouldn't think adjusting the compression would have much, if any, effect on the rebound. You might contact C T Racing & see if they can help you with adding that feature to your present shock. I bought my TCS shocks from them & they are very helpful. If you ride very hard in anything other than MX, I don't see how you can do it without being able to adjust your rebound. Actually, after re-reading your post you may want to have CT Racing just rebuild you rear shock to suit your style & weight. The valving & spring rate is probably all wrong for you.

Old 04-05-2000, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey CCTMAN; From a fellow hoosier, I have a PEP stabilizer on my 400 EX and I like it, but I wouldn't say that is the most valuable piece to have on a quad. I do believe it has saved me a broken left wrist and a right thumb since I have had it. I also run mine on the middle notch, but if I run it in any other hole it binds a little.
I will not buy a PEP for my R, I will buy a Denton which is $30 more and is adjustable dampening (7 adjustments) and appearently it is rebuildable while the PEP isn't. Also, the PEP dampening isn't adjustable, it has three holes on the arm that attaches to the steering stem. Just like anything, you get what you pay for. Spend the extra $30 a get on that you will like and will be happy with. Or you can buy my PEP and i'll buy a Denton.
Nick Indy

Old 04-05-2000, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer

dampners are great, but get the Denton
I have blown three PEP stabilizers in the last six months.

Old 04-05-2000, 08:00 AM
Range Rover

Any of you guys have a pic of your steering stabilizer mounted on your bikes? I have heard someone talking about a VW stabilizer being approximatly the same size as the "quad" specific ones, as well as a lot cheaper. It doesn't come with hardware though, which I can make. I just am not sure as to where it mounts on a quad without binding. Any pics or knowing where I can find one is great. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2000, 09:49 AM
Range Rover

Hey CCTMAN,
I too was looking into steering stabilizers and there is a great post in the drivetrain, suspension, and tires forum titled Steering Stabilizers - Worth the money, that you should read. Many complained about the PEP stabilizers not holding up well and most seemed to prefer the Denton model.

Bruce
2000 Banshee
99' 400EX
99' wolverine

Join Blue Ribbon Coalition and support our rights to ride!

Old 04-05-2000, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

I don't have any pics, but I can describe it to you.

The thing bolts to the front, lower, clutch side (left if facing the bike) hole in the motor mounting plate. It rides next to the pipe, which can't be a good thing cause we all know what happens when shocks get hot. It goes underneath the radiator, and then clamps on to the steering shaft. Mine binds up on my radiator scoops if I try to use any setting except the middle one.

The Denton dampner mounts on the same side of the bike, but it is below the gas tank rather than next to the pipe

Old 04-05-2000, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

Stockracer: Thanks for the info. I took a look at Graydon's stabilizer, they had a pic up and figured it out. I should be able to make some brackets up for that, just need to check on the VW shock. Later..

Old 04-06-2000, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey thanks for the advise .. I was a little concerned about the getting the PEP stabalizer
so I decided to call NACs and talked to their service dept. According to their rep. Only 4 PEP's for 250R's over the past 4 years have been returned for blowning seals. He says they sell both the Denton and the PEP and for R's they have'nt had any problems, however for the 400ex they have had 12 returned due to a bad batch in which he said we're all replaced and warrantied. He also said that if you have any problems with them you can return them and most of the time they'll send you a brand new one. He also said they're pro riders all use PEP and don't have many problems either including Doug Gust. He said he could order me a denton but besides the settings they're pretty much the same for the 250r. So I guess I'm going to save my $ and go for the PEP.. even if I end up holding my breath for a while. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2000, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

The PEP's dampening is also adjustable. There is a large nut on one end of the main body. Turning it clockwise increases dampening and vice versa. You should be able to turn it by hand.

Quick Reply: PEP Steering Stabalizer