Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

porting

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2000, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow dirtheads. This is my first time in after reading quite a few postings. I have a 94 banshee with a cool head, amplink, 30 over weisco's, bored carbs to 28mm, graydon pipes,delta v-force reeds,toomey monster clutch and alot of other little goodies, crank reworked(larger bearings, not welded) with some machining. I don't know exactly what was done and am having a hard time finding the records.I'll find them. Local guy did the machining at a yamaha dealership. I had the toomey's but lost them last year, theft. Tried the 1 into 2 graydon single carb and hated it.. realized you can't starve a banshee for what it craves. Would like to know more about machining options with the cool head and carbs, not sure if I should go to 32mm. I hear trinity taking a beating and CT is looking good but there is a guy out here in Michigan called Vito's in Oxford. Recommendations would be good and what to ask for.Like the rest of us, I hate to lose and need more power always.
I have a 97 ski-doo mach z and a recently aquired kx 500, mint condition and it was given to me in replacement for the toomeys I lost.

Old 04-12-2000, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

there are quite a few guys here that know alot about banshee's, one of them should be able to help you out...

just figured I'd bump your post back up to the top

Old 04-13-2000, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

Vito does reall good work. I havent delt with him first ahnd but I havent heard anyhting bad. If I'm not mistaken the graydon pipes are toomey replica's. What size domes are you running, how much timing, what kind of riding are you doing? Larger carbs will help, but just a different style, like a pwk will help also. Porting helps. What kind of riding are you doing and what are you wanting to improve on? How do you like those v force reeds?

Old 04-13-2000, 07:09 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the reply fellas. Brandon I am running 20cc domes and haven't done anything to my timing. Any recommedations? What do I need and where can I get it? I do mostly trail riding but plan on hitting the dunes more this summer. There is a hot spot near the trails that I run that has a huge sand hill, want to make more races there. I am looking for mid to top end, I realized that I am not happy with trying to make bigger low end if it means sacrificing my mid, that graydon single carb was a real disapointment, costly too... I just put the v-force's in last weekend, I had boyessen's before that and they were tired. figured I would try the v-force. I'll let everyone know after my first ride, haven't been up this year yet. Planning on making a tune ride in two weeks, jetting etc.. Right now I am starting off with a 280 main and a 25 pilot, see where that takes me with 50:1 110 octane fuel, yamalube R.

Old 04-13-2000, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

The first thing I would sugest to youto buy is a timing advancer. Pro design makes a nice one. Advance the timing 4 degrees. This will greatly inprove your acceleration. 20cc domes should be fine. I think the next steps would be to port and go to bigger carbs. Ct builds a decent motor, not really explosive fast, but moderate. Lrd also does nice porting. Duncan is ok, but Iam not that impressed. I've seen a couple and they run alright but nothing spectacular. Port Magic builds a radicaly fast engine as does C&O. Your best bet may be LRD porting and a set of their 30mm pwk's.

Old 04-13-2000, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

Brandon, I stand corrected, my domes are 19cc and not 20cc. Does Port Magic and C&0 have a web or can you give me some info on them. Did not find when I did a search. Vito has a waiting list of two months which is fine, so I need to get my info inline for the next move. Thanks for the info on the timing. I want to get as much machining done as possible without killling reliability. Is that possible?

Old 04-13-2000, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

Give LRD a call. Their work is top notch. Plus Arlan gives me great deals as long as I keep refering people to him...

Waymod

PS If you go with them you'll need Velcro on you seat...

Old 04-14-2000, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

No website, sorry. Call them, C&O is 310-573-5093, if you talk to bruce tell him Brandon Carter sent you. Check the back of dirt wheels for POrt Magic.

Old 04-21-2000, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer

Nice to see a fellow michigander here, been up to silver yet? Vito's bikes are usually some of the fastest stuff up at the dunes. although i have never worked with them. Another local guy to check out that is building some extremely fast banshees is Dan Hull out of lansing. He i think he is with A and S Racing. He had some of the fastest bikes last summer, too. Trinity fixed up a hatchet job porting on mr banshee and i am extremely happy with it. Ir i were to do it over again and building a drag only bike i think i would build a 350 instead of 409, but hindisght is always 20/20. I am not sure of the number of Dan Hull, but ask around and i am sure you can find it. One of the advantages of going with him is that i saw him helping alot of customers in the dunes on the weekends. If something is not working right, you can drive right over to his house instead of yelling over the phone to someone in california.

Eric

Old 04-21-2000, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the additional referral 409LongRod. There is a few of us Michiganders floating in this forum. Vito has me on a waiting list, and I have heard alot of good things about him. I like the fact that he is the one that does the machining and not somebody else. I'll ask around for Dan. I haven't been to the dunes in about 3 years, bummer... This year I plan on making it back at least once a month. I love that place, big weekends are fun but can't stand the line just to get into the park. I spent the last few years up at Bullgap in Roscommon county, every been there? It's pretty wild on the big weekends. Lot of fast machines and some machines that are wrecks. It's nothing like Silver Lake but, you can still trail ride if you want to. I am planning on heading over to Mt. Morris in a week or two to make some plug checks since I have switched a few things around. This summer I want my machine to rip my arms off!!!!

Quick Reply: porting