Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

turbo banshee?? how???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, will some one explain how you attach a turbo to a banshee? DOes it use the original 2 stroke engine? Tell me if this sounds crazy. Buy forcing air in to a 2 cycle engine, all you would do id constanntly hold the reeds open,and force air/fuel out the exaust port, thus, loosing the effext of the turbo. Also, is it a single or twin turbo ? One or two carb, or efi??? What does this turbo come off of and could you attach it to a 4 stroke? Why is no one supercharging 4 strokes. I saw a supercharged trail 50 and they make them for briggs 5hp engines, why not 4 wheeler? any explination would be great

Old 04-26-2000, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

there are reeds on non-turbo 2-strokes because it runs on atm(atmoshphere pressure) so it needs something to close the chamber.

a turbo works like this: with the engine running, it turns, or there is this new thing, where theres nothing mechanical, but im not sure about how that works, but anyway. it turns a turbine from the exhaust, and that compressed air is ran into the carb, , and i suppose it keeps the reeds open, but since it has variable pressure, around 8psi, i dont think that is a problem because the back pressure is not enough to backflush the carb. so this increase in air pressure floods the cylinder with more fuel/air mix.

but there is one drawback that i know of, in performace. there is something called "turbo lag"

Old 04-26-2000, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

but still would it not push a lot of air out the exaust port? On a 4 stoke, the chamber is closed, you you get an increase of pressure, but on a 2 stoke, the time where the intake port is open, and the exaust is closed, is very littel, i figure you couldent get that much boost. Thhose turbos must be running 14-20 psi.

Old 04-26-2000, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

The turbo is a single then splits to two efi's. You use a 2into1 pipe. The pipe is hooked to the turbo, spinning the turbine forcing air into the cylinders. The turbo doesn't force the reeds open at all rpm's because of two reasons: 1. the reeds are oversided, 2. the turbo only forces as much air into the cylinders as you let it viva the thumb throttle. It is really trick! You have 5 different psi swicthes for different riding. 5-25 psi but not recomended to exceed about 17psi. I got to ride my borther-in-laws cousin's proto-type turboed efi Banshee with a stock length swingarm and it hauls a$$.

Old 04-26-2000, 11:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The same company is working on a turbo for the DS650

Old 04-26-2000, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

yes they are. The company is GP Enginerring out of Garden City, KS. Someone shipped them a DS650 to turbo. that thing is going to haul major a$$.

Old 04-27-2000, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the above posts, most of the connections have been explained, but after reading them, I didn't see the original post addressed.

So, we know the turbine spins from the exhaust gasses running through it, which also compresses the fresh air which is forced into the carb inlet. The turbine does not create pressure in the cylinder all the time, but only when the motor is under load and the throttle is open. When it is creating pressure, it crams as much air/fuel mixture into the cylinder as it can (based on the wastegate setting - which limits how much pressure can be pushed into the motor). A two stroke motor does not allow air to flow freely through it all of the time. There is a period when the exhaust port is closed (the piston is traveling up). This is when the crankcase receives its fresh air/fuel mixture (whether its from a turbo, or from atmospheric pressure is irrelevant). This is the time when the reeds are open and they will remain open until the crankcase pressure increases above the pressure coming in to the motor from the turbo. This will happen when the piston is moving down and compressing the crankcase - which forces the air/fuel up through the tranfer ports and into the cylinder.

What the turbo is doing is increasing the air pressure within the motor. More pressure = more air. More air means more fuel can be burned. More fuel burned = more power.

All of this would be confusing if you were not sure how a 2 stroke engine works.

Old 04-27-2000, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

where can you get turbos? how much more hp do they give you?

Old 04-27-2000, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

You can get a turbo through GP Enginerring. They don't currently build them for a 250R, but I am think they can custom build one for it.(trying to get them to build me one when I get the ca$h) They can give you any where from 15hp gains up to 125hp gains. Just depends on how the turbo is built.

Old 05-02-2000, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

There is currently a turbo being produced for banshees in michigan. The company that makes them is called HiPER TECH II (or something like that) They guarantee 130 hp out of a STOCK banshee motor. THe only mods they make are stronger aftermarket pistons and a override tranny to handle the power. They have designed their turbo around a stock motor so that the laws of thermodynamics, not black magic porting, control the power. Another cool thing is that you can unbolt this thing when you are ready to sell the quad. It runs on alcohol and a efi. I believe it solves some of the turbo lag problems by using the efi. I am absolutley not a expert on turbos, but i think turbo lag is caused by incorrect exhaust temps. This problem is remedied with a half dozen different sensors that control the fuel maps. This kit has a full warranty, but it is not cheap. The price was between 5-6 grand. But when you look at a comparable stroker motor that generates that kind of power, it is pretty comparable. I was told this thing ran a 4.2 in 300' at the Silver Lake track in michigan.

Quick Reply: turbo banshee?? how???