Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Sportsman 600 creeping

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 600 creeping

Hello I have a 2003 sportsman 600 and it's really hard to shift out of low and reverse. At idle it creeps bad and even when I shut the machine off the belt stays tight. I just put a brand new comet primary clutch in it, a new belt, the secondary is new to me from a salvage yard, and the motor mount seems to be okay from just looking at it. Im not sure what to look for next but hopefully someone here could save me some money from taking it to the shop. Please help!!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Since you've changed the front clutch,may be part of it? Usually when this happens on the standard ebs clutches,the washers front and rear of the one way bearing wear and allow the belt to creep over and touch the inner clutch sheath. This keeps constant pressure on the belt and rear clutch making it hard to shift,creeps,etc. Best thing I can tell you to do is to pull the clutch cover and while in neutral look at where the belt rides. If it's touching the inner sheath of the front clutch shimming the rear clutch out a little may help. Just pull the rear clutch and match the washer behind it up at any hardware store. If it takes more than 3 total,something else may be wrong. Such as the belt,oem is still the best or if the Comet is a non ebs clutch,that may be the problem.Mismatched clutches don't always work. Plus don't overlook engine flexing causing this from worn/soft or broken motor mounts.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

sometimes an aftermarket belt can make it creep too. Not sure what brand you replaced it with.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply. The clutch I put on is in fact a non ebs.. hopefully it's something as simple as shims but not sure. Looking where the belt rides in the sheaths it feels pretty tight like it's touching on both sides. The belt I have is a gates belt and it's the correct width. If my problem is the non ebs clutch, how could I fix?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Ckieffer29
Thanks for the reply. The clutch I put on is in fact a non ebs.. hopefully it's something as simple as shims but not sure. Looking where the belt rides in the sheaths it feels pretty tight like it's touching on both sides. The belt I have is a gates belt and it's the correct width. If my problem is the non ebs clutch, how could I fix?
I've had this happen at the shop when people mismatched clutches and used either oem or aftermarket belts. My two cents find a cheap non ebs rear clutch(one with ramp buttons) off any Trail Boss,Blazer,Magnum,Scrambler and use a Polaris 3211077 non ebs belt. Using a belt designed for ebs clutches is usually too wide to begin with. You can try the 3211077 belt first. If it works good enough for you leave it at that. If it doesn't get the rear clutch also then you would have a matched system.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

Looks like I know what I'll be trying next! Thanks for the help I'll keep you updated

Old 02-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

So here's what I found out. The belt I have on it now is a gates 19g3982e which is a polaris 3211091 replacement (I think)
I looked up the polaris 3211077 and it's not wider but it's a little over 41 inches long, where as the 3211091 is right at 41 inches. I also found 2 replacement's for the 3211077. A gates 20g4022 and a dayco hp2003. My question is which one do you recommend, polaris, gates, or dayco and why

Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

go oem..ppl will say their dayco or gates is just as good and has lasted sooo long, and that may be true..but in my experience every oem belt ive replaced was just due to maintenence..ive only had gates belts shred(not all) and have no experience with dayco

Old 02-06-2016, 03:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just search any forum on belts and you'll see on average most people had the best luck with oem belts no matter what brand of atv they owned. Same thing at the shop we had people switch to aftermarket belts and a lot came back to Polaris oem belts because of problems on fitment issues and wear on aftermarket belts.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

New belt is on its way!

Quick Reply: Sportsman 600 creeping