Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Why would my 2005 polaris sportsman 700 be stuck in 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 10.5 vdc @ the diff...how would a different ground help if I already have the correct voltage?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dandagamble
I have 10.5 vdc @ the diff...how would a different ground help if I already have the correct voltage?
Ground goes from the switch then through the speedo then to the front diff. Possible to lose a good ground during this length of travel.This was a common problem on the older models that was solved by making a better ground connection. May or may not solve the problem,but at least worth a shot. If that doesn't help,then you may have a problem in the diff even though it may have bench tested ok.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok let me ask you this, when I have the diff on the bench and split...when I put 12 vdc to the coil, should the armature plate physically pull in? Should it physically move or just be magnetized?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ok let me ask you this, when I have the diff on the bench and split...when I put 12 vdc to the coil, should the armature plate physically pull in? Should it physically move or just be magnetized?
Yes it should magnetize and slow down which allows the roll cage to ramp up and lock in. But again in bench testing you're using the shortest grounding point,not relying on the thin ground wire running all the way from the switch and speedo. That's the point I'm trying to get through to you. Just try it,no harm in jumping to the frame or a better grounding point on the coil ground wire. If the awd still doesn't work since everything is frame grounded,you have problems elsewhere why the awd doesn't work.Plus not sure if you know that the rear tires have to slip which causes an over speed/over clocking condition that locks the drive shafts in. Kicks out when the rear tires regain traction.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so here is where I am at. Went to jump the ground to the frame and it is already jumped there. Took off and cleaned well and have continuity to the diff. So I have the atv on jack stands, awd does nothing in forward gears but when in reverse the front diff locks in and works great. So?????

Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try using the reverse override in high or low and see if it works.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plus that might be where you can jump the brown/white to brown wire in the speedo harness to bypass the ground path from going through the speedo at at all. May be as simple as that to be able to get awd in forward range.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I jumped the ground wire to a known good ground and had no change. No engagement in forward gears while holding reverse over ride either. I took diff back apart and found nothing wrong. So I flipped roller cage around and now have awd in forward but not reverse. I prefer that better than only reverse but it still ain't right. I did notice that the roller cage I purchased has 2 pieces on the ends of roller cage that come off the center body, so I'm wondering if thats my problem. The original roller cage body was all one piece. I guess I will eventually just purchase the aluminum roller cage.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I did notice that the roller cage I purchased has 2 pieces on the ends of roller cage that come off the center body, so I'm wondering if thats my problem. The original roller cage body was all one piece.
Get the one piece aluminum.. Did you have the old JD cage that a lot of people went to at first? If so that might be the problem.