Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

99 polaris sportsman gear selector help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 polaris sportsman gear selector help

Hello Everybody,
. I have a 99 Polaris sportsman. Bought it had no service records. Long story short it became stuck in reverse and would not move out. I disconnected the two shifter linkages and while still on the machine it would only move into low gear. Removed the entire gear selector from the machine. Took the cap off and removed lever. Both plungers move freely. Slightly put it back together without springs. Shifted through every gear freely. Now from the diagram and what I've seen there is a front resevoir full of fluid and in the back the shafts are lubricated but no standing fluid. What type of oil shoud I use? What is the capacity? All i can find is"do not overfill" and should there be fluid in the rear? Also has anybody ran into this problem? Thank you in advance for any help. -Andy- Gear shifter on my polaris

Old 04-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

0w40,5w30,5w40 will be ok to use. From the manual: "Shift Selector Box Polaris OW /40 Synthetic Engine Lubri- 30cc- 1 oz. Oil in selector box should be at the center line of the shift selector plungers.Do not overfill or the selector may hydro-lock." I just filled with oil until oil was at the top of the plungers with no problems. If it shifts ok without the springs,then go for it.. I'd also replace the o-rings as they all will leak after time..IF it ever locks up again,loosen the linkage ball lock nuts at the gear box slides,remove the linkage rods from the gear box. Pop the shifter in neutral,have the gear case in neutral. Loosens the ball ends to where they drop straight into the shift lever holes with no resistance. Tighten the lock nuts,replace the 10mm nuts that secure the rod ends to the shift levers. Temporary fix that compensates a little for worn shift box components. These parts are becoming NLA. If you ever want to fix it right,order what parts you can see are worn while they're still available.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much! I will put it all together with the fluids you have recommended and definitely give you and everybody an update.thank you again for the help