Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1996 scrambler 400 2 stroke motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change regulator,...needs 14.sumtin on volts,...then check cooling fan with proper volts,..if fan dont work then,..change censer on radiator,..yeah regulator is tight fer big redneck hands!!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1996 scrambler

hi again

just bought the darn rectifier. The one on the bike had in order left to right

yellow with red stripe--- white----green---- black. (four wires plus ground from machine)

The one i just got has left to right

yellow with red strip----red----and yellow (three wires totally different colors)

verified it for scrambler 400 cc

i tried to put them on as best as i could it wouldnt go over ten mph
what the heck!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like the wrong one to me,..my xplorer had 4,cant remember the colors tho,..sorry

Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Look under the bottom of the module,if it says LR49 you've got the limiter module ,NOT the regulator/rectifier! Reg/rectifier will have THREE yellow (two yellow, one yellow with red tracer) I believe? OPT

Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default all set

it was the rectifier! All fixed albeit a pain in the butt...

this forum is awesome

j

Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

i don't want to step any toes. not sure if just anybody can respond on this ask an expert section.

I find that the cooling system on these don't really seem to work at all if they aren't completly full. this is because of both hoses being in the top at least that's my thoery.
I also noticed that the older units don't turn the fan on, at as low of a temperature. It was something like a sensor off a 95 xplorer would switch at 205. but any four stroke or newer like 2000 400 will switch on at 190.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtwostroke
i don't want to step any toes. not sure if just anybody can respond on this ask an expert section.

I find that the cooling system on these don't really seem to work at all if they aren't completly full. this is because of both hoses being in the top at least that's my thoery.
I also noticed that the older units don't turn the fan on, at as low of a temperature. It was something like a sensor off a 95 xplorer would switch at 205. but any four stroke or newer like 2000 400 will switch on at 190.
Yes, the older ones had their share of problems,not so much hose location,but the top mounted radiator sensors! If the coolant level dropped (which happened very often) they would overheat the dry, exposed sensor and short out in no time at all. They kept changing the sensor and finally realized it was best to mount it in the bottom of the radiator where it would still short out OR during the big ECM recalls fans wouldn't kick on at all and overheat the engines!!. Each year the service manuals would list the kick on and off temperature range and seemed it kept lowering them,but then they got a little smarter and now there aren't any more sensors in the radiator,but in the cylinders (where they need to be) BUT they still have their problems also! Trapped air,module problems,etc. Fan motors finally evolved to the better enclosed car type system,but they had their own problems also! I've always loved the old 500 Sportsman Or the 500 Magnum, BUT the old simple 250 two stroke AIR COOLED Trail Boss beat em all hands down!! OPT