Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Troubles putting on rear caliper/rotor/sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubles putting on rear caliper/rotor/sprocket

I bought ATV with out rear caliper, rotor, and sprocket. I got all OEM parts I'm having problems installing rear caliper,rotor and outer sprocket. I can install rotor and sprocket but caliper won't go on and there is a gap like shaft isn't long enough. I can install caliper and rotor but not enough shaft for sprocket. Shaft isn't broken because it has original numbers on outside tip. Is the 4x4 worth the hazel ?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

First thing if you don't have a manual is to Google PURE POLARIS PARTS CATALOG,click on BROWSE and bookmark this page! You can look up your machine and see if you have all the parts needed and will show how it goes together. Try this and see if it helps,then get back to us if you still have any problems! OPT

Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention that the ATV is a 1996 Polaris scrambler 400 4x4. I have looked at the parts diagrams and i have a haynes manual but it doesn't tell me much. Does any one have any good manuals to download or any ideas?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hokyscrambler
I forgot to mention that the ATV is a 1996 Polaris scrambler 400 4x4. I have looked at the parts diagrams and i have a haynes manual but it doesn't tell me much. Does any one have any good manuals to download or any ideas?
If you can install the caliper and rotor on the shaft but not enough room left for the outer sprocket,sounds like you need the caliper piston to go further in which will push the rotor farther on the shaft.Then there is a circlip that goes on the shaft in front of the rotor Get this brake system working first,then you should have enough room to finish the sprocket and chain. There are several sites where you can down load a better manual than a Clymer OR Haynes if need be. OPT