Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 polaris sportsman 90 how does electric choke work

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 polaris sportsman 90 how does electric choke work

Hi I am new to this forum so here it is, Bought 2001 polaris sportsman 90 and was told it had a carb issue. I cleaned carb cleaned gas tank, installed new fuel filter, and an air filter. Quad would start playing with throttle, then it would die. Long story short I purchased new carb and it still will not start very easy, and the next time I try to start it, it just cranks and cranks. Spark is great, and spark plug not fouled out. I unhooked choke wires and with key on checked for voltage at harness connector meter shows no voltage, tried it cranking and I ended up with .245 volts DC. Unscrewed electric choke from original carb and plugged it it harness to see if it would pull choke plunger up and it will not. where does the choke get its power from, and what voltage should be present. thank you for any info that anyone can help me with. The new guy.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Put every thing back together on the carb! When trying to start block off the air tube going to the air box with your thumb and see if it cranks up! This was a problem on electric and manual choke models and our shop even received this "starting procedure" as a "tech bulletin" from Polaris! The problem is that is was hard to start fuel flow from the carb into the cylinder and blocking off the tube allowed fuel to flow quickly! Once started and warm,they will crank easily most of the time. Plus the electric chokes never functioned well! That's why they replaced them with the manual ones,BUT they still had a first time in the morning starting problem because they just couldn't pull enough fuel without doing this procedure! If this still doesn't help,you could have compression problem (just check with thumb over spark plug hole and see if pressure is good enough to move it when cranking over! OPT

Old 09-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you I will try the thumb trick shortly, compression will definitely blow thumb out of hole. I still don't understand how the choke is to work if there is no voltage and the polaris service manual wiring diagram is useless. should there be 12 vdc to the choke with the key on or not, please help, and thank you again for the help

Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I wouldn't worry over the electric choke!! It didn't work well on the Honda Spree scooter either and just doesn't work as designed to! How they are supposed to work is when cold the choke plunger is up allowing fuel through this circuit and gradually closes as engine and carb warms. Most of the ones you can pull out have the plunger stuck all the way down,blocking any choke action. In the latter part of 2002(I believe) Polaris started offering "replacement" manual choke kits that did away with the electric one(on problem machines??) ,but at times still not much of an improvement! Only when they went to four stroke engines that created a lot more fuel draw did problems with the small atvs improve. We always had a hard time starting the 2-strokes straight out of the crate, but the four strokes were completely different! OPT

Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2001 polaris sportsman 90 hard to start

this is a continuation about the choke concern. I tried to block off inlet of air box and it made no difference. The one thing I have found is that if you give it throttle, and I don't mean a little it will fire up and rev but once you let off the throttle it wants to die. I have the idle screw all the way in at this point, and you still have to throttle it. I have the pilot screw at 1 turn out, and the main jet needle in the third position. What does the ETC effect if anything at start up and idle. This quad has me scratching my head, I have fuel (i beleive), spark, and compression, this thing should start and run just fine, but it doesn't. Thank you for all the help so far, just hoping that brain storming with you will maybe help me see something I have overlooked

Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Adjust throttle lever to where it has about 1/16-1/8" slack,then you should be able to adjust idle screw. About 1 turn to 1 3/8 out on mixture screw. OPT