Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Thermistor,thermal switch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermistor,thermal switch question

Part numbers please.
I have an 2005 Sportsman 400,model number: A05MH43AG
I called the local dealer to get the price on the thermal switch{Thermistor in the manual} for this machine{$93.00 ouch} and He gave Me a part number 3085352 so I go searching the innernet and this P/N jumps all around the 2005 year model so I do aother search and find this P/N : 3089246 and I find in the parts places search that this part number will fit the AB models but it does`nt list the AG model.
So,can anyone tell Me if this 3089246 will fit the AO5MH43AG model machine.
The ohms reading I get on the old unit is 2.02 ohms,the book states that the hot light on is in the 178 to 190 ohm range and the light off fan off is in a range quite a bit higher than the 2.02 ohms that I am getting on the old unit,so,I am hoping that it is the thermal switch{thermistor} and not another electronic control module as I have already had to buy a new one of those last spring and has less than 200 miles on it.
OH YEAH,I forgot to mention.
key off and fan is on,key on and engine running,hot light is on and fan is running.

The machine had a dead battery so I oput the charger on it and the fan started running,I unpluged the fan,battery would`nt take a charge above 10.5 volts so I got a new battery,followed manufacturers specs for filling/charging and installed the battery,all is good so I fire it up and going to go for a ride but in a minute or less the hot light comes on so I switch off and get off the machine,I had forgot to plug the fan back in so I did that and immediately the fan starts running with the switch off,unplug fan again and start the troubleshooting procedures.LOL

Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

AG on parts lists shows to be a 2004 model (could be 2004.5 model) but still shows the same sensor from 04 and 05 model 400s. Part # 3089246 You're description shows what usually happens when the sensor shorts out! $67 at Cycle Parts Warehouse,but still too high! Try matching up at an auto store if possible. If it is a 2004.5 model doesn't show to have an ecm module,but wouldn't hurt to pop the front panel and see if you might have the old BLACK ecm finned module that was on recall??This controlled the fan,charging,etc and caused all kinds of problems. EDIT! After looking at the recall list does show a 2005 AG model,and was on the recall list for a ecm replacement,BUT doesn't list the 2005 AG on ANY three of the parts break downs I looked at! Squirelly? Check the ecm out or let the dealer replace it free!!! OPT

Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Oh Yes,the ECM.LOL
The original ECM seemed to be doing just fine but then comes this recall so I take it in and they replace the ECM,the machine just did`nt seem to be quite right,cranked a little slower and longer on startup,on cold days it seemed that the battery had just enough to get it fired with no reserve left for a second try if it happened to quit,finally the ECM died.Of course it would have just happened to be out of warranty so I had to cough up the bucks to get it replaced.When I left the dealership I almost forgot to tell them that I wanted My old ECM back,the mech had to scrounge around but He did find it,and so I went home.
I got home and just happened to have some spare time so I decided to remove the cover,well well well,the inside of the ECM that was replaced under recall was completely full of corossion like it had had battery acid dumped into it,HMMMMmmmmm,well I hoping it is`nt another ECM after the rant I gave the dealer over that one.LOL
OH Yeah,after I paid for that third ECM the machine started really nice and all the electronics worked better than they had since they installed that recalled ECM.
Thank You OPT,I will look around and see if I can find an automotive Temp. Sensor that will be able to replace this one.
I think I have one in My collection for the 95 or so GMC pickup,maby I`ll warm up Me a cup of coffee and check the various resistances at the temps listed in the tech manual for the four wheeler and if they are close it will take nothing to make a mating pigtail for the polaris to the temp sender then seeing as how I used a cup of coffee for checking the temp sender and seeing as how that cup of coffee is nicely warmedup I might as well drink it up.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yea I know! I replaced more than just one ecm on several machines,but was able to get em warrantied again! Warming up the sensor in coffee sounds good,at least you can drink it afterwards,better than using antifreeze! OPT

Old 03-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

HHHMMMmmm,seems all I can find to warm that test coffee in is the turkey oil cooker,thats going to be a lot of coffee made in the old fashioned way,like the trappers used to do,it really should be trapper coffee because the trappers was here in the west before the cowboys.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default $101.58 for new temp sensor

I been too busy to try out some temp sensors and for just a little relief I have been wanting to jump on the Sportsman and go for a ride,so,today I goes out to River Side Marine and cycle,parts/service manager looks it up,101.58 He says,crap,what are these things made of anyways,I bought the durned thing a instilled it into the muscheen,and,fired it up,and,the hot lamp is still flashing and the fan runs with the key off.go figure,I dont like just throwing parts at equipment until it is fixed,but,now I guess I will have to crap out another $180 bucks for another one a them durnburned modules,freakin things gettin Me down,this`ll be the fourth module in 2200 miles,what the crack is going on wit this thing ??? please help Me i`m ataloss.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some members have posted that they have taken the back off the new ecm and completely siliconed the insides to keep out moisture. Don't know if this will help? Sorry on the 4th module! OPT

Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

I know the recall module that they installed had been full of moisture at some time,the innards looked like it had been poured full of chloride,dumped out and the cover put on,yeeech,what a mess.
I beginning to think that I`ll have to do with this like I`ve done with the Harleys i`ve hauled home,strip them down to the bare frame,scrub and clean every connector,rework the engine and what ever else it needs then put them all back together,I`ve never had one break after working them over.
I too am now thinking there may be a broken wire or a real bad connection in the fan/thermister circuit,I`ll find it if there is.LOL

Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hey There Old Polaris Tech

I apologize for not doing a reply sooner but I been busy.LOL
I did check the ohms resistance on the thermal switch,I then checked the resistance on a brand new one and they were quite some bit off,I have the numbers wrote on a piece of paper and I will post those numbers tomorrow.
I did use the original thermal sensor that was on the muscheen since it was new.
I also checked an old GMC temp. senser and the old GMC unit was almost dead on the money to what the Polaris book said they should be.
Old tea pots are handy for something.Nope,I didnt brew a batch of coffee in the teapot either.
The problem turned out to be,Guess..............................YUP,number four on ECUs.
I got to thinking about when this all started.
My Stepson was going to take the Polaris for a drive,I was in Alaska,and the battery was run down so He hooked the charger to the Battery,I think He must have hooked the charger to the battery in a backwards fashion + on the - and a - on the +,He then told Me that the fan was running while the charger was hooked to the battery.
Any how the new module fixed it and I was able to go for a ride today and get that little bit of relief I was needing,even if it was only to the carwarsh and back home.
I will post those numbers tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

The book says
Hot light on 178 - 190 ohms 215 degrees
Fan off 296 - 316 ohms 180 degrees
Fan on 236 - 251 ohms 195 degrees

Then is what the old temp sensor has
418 ohms @ 180 degrees
338 ohms @ 195 degrees
227 ohms @ 215 degrees

The new thermister readings is
428 ohms @ 180 degrees
290 ohms @ 195 degrees
219 ohms @ 214 degrees

So then,the old GM thermister readings come in at
298 ohms @ 180 degrees
253 ohms @ 195 degrees
200 ohms @ 215 degrees
it is too bad that the probe on the GM thermister is too long,it looks like it would be a perfect match.
After installing the new ECU module I hooked up the old thermister and the fan did not run,turned on the ignition key and waited for about a minute or so and the fan still did`nt come on,I installed the old thermister and run the engine to operating temps while purging air from the system and the fan did finally come on.
I will later on run the engine and moniter the temps and see at what temp the fan comes on just to find out if with the old thermister being so far off on the numbers that the fan is coming on at the temp. listed in the manual.

Quick Reply: Thermistor,thermal switch question