Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Complete front drive axles (with hubs)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete front drive axles (with hubs)

I'm a newbie here and need this puzzler put to rest: SP500.

They used the same axles in 97 then skipped years 98,99,00,01 then go back to the same axle they used in 97 for years 02,03 and early 04 (with hubs). I can't say I saw the difference.

I've read the 2200960 is USA (neapco) and 2200961 BTB are the same and will fit only if the axle is complete. Is this true!?!? I read one will not fit the other if your doing a CV to the shaft but one complete vs the other will work on any machine?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Think you read right! The whole Neapco, BTB cv joints were a mess to deal with! You couldn't interchange cv joints because the shaft spines were different and even the cv boots were different!. But you could replace a complete drive shaft assembly and would work whether it was Neapco or BTB best I can remember. But there were some models that you had to use the same drive shaft as the atv had(either Neapco or BTB) because of the cv spline length and diameter were different. This was a mess for a while and still is if you order the wrong thing! OPT

Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

"But there were some models that you had to use the same drive shaft as the atv had(either Neapco or BTB) because of the cv spline length and diameter were different."

Wow...I'm impressed, instant answer. But this quote here still has me. Are you talking about the spline/ diameter coming out of the diff? Output shaft. Or are you just saying in general as we had mentioned inner changing CV for one to the other type thing.

BTW - there is a good reason why I'm asking all of this. I have a post on another site and well...let's just say this has been a pleasure.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Differential wasn't the problem as the drive shafts have a female end to them and just used a clevis pin to hold em in place on the differential splines. Plus both Neapco and BTB matched the differential splines,BUT not each other on the cv shaft end spines or in the cv joints! Can't remember which year the cv joints were longer. I remember this because the parts manager ordered the wrong one for me one time and I saw the physical differences between the Neapco and BTB. Been toooooooo long ago PS the differences in length were from 1996 and in 1997 the cv shaft nut was a regular castle nut with a cotter pin versus the first year Sportsman (1996) that used a compression nut and circlip.Plus the same year(1996) you had to make sure you ordered for the correct side as there were left and right hand threads on the cv shaft end!! Those were the days I'd just as soon forget! OPT

Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hehe...I think we're getting somewhere. The machine nor new axle isn't here but I do know I took an axle off that had the castle nut. Like I had mentioned, this axle is complete and all the hubs are all the same (I think), I assume the spline where the hilliard clutch goes is the same so I'd say I'm good to go! You must miss working on popo's, I've had way too many I've turned wrenches on and I'm soon ready to retire....and this is suppose to be a sport of pleasure. Sometimes I just don't know...

Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

DON'T miss wrenching one bit! I enjoy the retired life OPT

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

With 260 000 miles on your truck, you must be enjoying it. I have 140 000km on mine, same year. That must be ALOT of fishing miles Mr. OPT.
I'm hoping to tackle that axle job over the w/e. I'll let you know if it ends up on fire or not

Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most of the miles were from commuting 100 miles a day round trip to work then putting in a 10 hr day for 4 days(sometimes 5) for 10 years on this 2000 Chevy truck! Had a 1991 Dodge Dakota for 9 years that I put on around 253,000 on up until I bought the Chevy! Texas has a lot of highways! 513,000 miles just to get to the shop and back on two vehicles! This doesn't count mileage on the 1985 S10 I started out with at this job ONE of the reasons I retired along with my health reasons. Just tired of the commute,then having to go to work!! It barely leaves the garage now! OPT

Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gidday OPT. Just to let you know, I decided to tackle that axle last night. After looking at my nice two pieces and comparing it to the new one I had you can see the differences once you line them up. Just like you said. But a complete axle, np. It all lined up and I'm back in business...I think
Thanks again.