Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

330 trail boss won't starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330 trail boss won't starting problems

Hi, I recently bought a 2003 trail boss 330. I'm having trouble starting it with the key. When I turn the key it just clicks. The first thing I did was swap out the battery with my trail boss 250. Both batteries start the 250, but neither will start the 330. The 330 starts with the pull cord, but it takes quite a few pulls to get it to start. Sometimes the pull cord comes out too easily. It seems like it doesn't catch every time. I lightly tapped the recoil housing with a hammer yesterday and was able to get the starter to turn it over with the key. I'm thinking there is a problem with either the starter motor or the bendix. How can I tell which one is causing the problem? I wouldn't even worry about it if it started with the first pull like my 250 trail boss does, but it takes quite a few pulls and the 330 doesn't run well until it warms up. It shuts off a few times and I have to pull the cord half a dozen times again and again. After it warms up it runs great and will start easy with the pull start. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Easiest just to pull the recoil cover then you can pull the starter gear shaft (bendix) inspect it for wear,hanging up.Plus usually when the recoil hangs up it's because of the metal friction plate and spring covering the plastic pulley. This area gets dry and dirty and will hang up the pulley. It needs a small coating of grease. You can jump across the solenoid to see if the starter works,plus you also can just tap on the starter and see if it will work once the bendix is out of the way. If the starter is sticking it's usually because of dirt,worn brushes,etc,same for the bendix and cheap enough at DB electric just to replace both at the same time rather than messing with brush kits,etc..DB Electrical - Polaris. If you need a look at what's involved just look under "recoil" and "starting motor" under your model.Browse OPT

Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

OPT has got some of the best advice when it comes to Polaris, so follow his advice and you should be back on the trails in no time.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just went ahead and bought a new starter and bendix, just waiting for it to arrive. Should I put anything, (grease?), on the gears of the bendix when I install it? Hopefully I'll be able to get the starter off. I've read up on it and it seems like it's not that easy. I wish I was working on an old V8 chevy, that would be easy, lol. I don't know my way around these bikes yet. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get back to you when I get the new starter in. As for the hard starting, I discovered that it won't start with the choke at all. It did better today with the choke off. Started probably on the 3rd pull and didn't shut off.
thanks again,

Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Twist the bendix and you can see where grease is needed.Plus push down on the cup at the front of the bendix and grease the shaft a little. Also dab a little grease on both the case and recoil cover starter bushings where the bendix rides. OPT

Old 06-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I loosened the two bolts on the starter, but they wouldn't come out all the way. The backing plate for the clutches is in the way. I've read that others have been able to pull the starter up through the top. Is that possible on the 330? I tried, but couldn't get the starter to budge at all. I already have the bendix off, that was easy. Should I keep struggling to pull it through the top or just go ahead and take off the clutches. I know I'll need a puller for the drive clutch. Would it be more trouble than it's worth to take off the clutches? Or is that the easier, (better) way?

Thanks,

Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can try to pry the backing plate out a little to remove the bottom bolt and twist the starter motor(as I've heard other guys doing) but I always just pulled the front clutch to where I could loosen the backing plate up enough to have clearance. Just depends on how much you want to fight it,size of your hands(mine are BIG),etc. OPT

Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally got around to changing the starter this past weekend and now it fires right up. Thanks to everyone for the tips. I ended up taking the drive clutch off and loosening the backing plate just enough to get the starter out. It was actually pretty easy once I pulled the clutch off.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by lucid_dream2
Finally got around to changing the starter this past weekend and now it fires right up. Thanks to everyone for the tips. I ended up taking the drive clutch off and loosening the backing plate just enough to get the starter out. It was actually pretty easy once I pulled the clutch off.

Thanks again!!
You change out enough starters like I had to do and you will find the easiest way rather than fighting it Good luck OPT