Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem

Hi all have an 04 twin sportsman 700.Left my quad out at a place i hunt for a few weeks and when i went to start it the ignition didnt click back when i turned it on.Tha dash light started to flash on and off.Also backfired a few times when i was riding it when dash light went out.I stopped it and when i went to start it back up it wound over and wouldnt stop.It had no light on the tacho and i had to disconnect the battery to stop it.I was reading on some other threads that the ducatti ignition is no good and you have to update it.Was wondering if that sounds like the problem that i have.Thanks

Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Exactly some of the symptoms! Backfiring,not charging,erratic idle,wont cranketc. #2202602 ignition kit. Ignitions on the 2004 carb model were changed to Kokusan after 2/23/03 build date. You can pop the panel to see if you have the Ducati controller or a separate cdi and coil. You might be lucky and have the Kokusan ignition and just have dead battery.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2004&fveh=5634 OPT Check around as there are a little cheaper prices I believe. OPT

Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks mate.The panel you are talking about is that under the cover of the steering.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes, the big panel under the front rack. Only a few carb models were made with the Ducati ignition in 2004. Hopefully you have the separate cdi and coil (kokusan) and just have a dead battery. OPT

Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi finally got back out to my quad.It does have the updated ignition.The battery is all good so i am thinking its the ignition it self as it got hard to turn and was not clicking back.The lights to the dash wasnt always working either.Does it sound like the ignition as i turn it over sometimes it sounds like its gonna start for a second.Ive pulled the ignition out and was wondering can you test that as i was going to order a new ignition.Also i changed the plugs about 3 months ago and put champion in it.Im sure i read somewhere not long ago that you should only run ngk.Thanks

Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Make sure the battery is good,have it load tested or replace it. Use NGK BKR7E plugs as Champions are good only for lawn mowers imo. If you think the ignition switch is faulty(can happen) but if the engine is turning over sounds like you have other problems. A lot of times it's still a battery problem on the twins,especially if it's been sitting up or carb problems with ethanol fuel we have today(stopped up jets,needle and seat) You have to start at the battery and eliminate one thing at a time.Make sure you have spark, fresh fuel, clean the carb, check that you have good fuel flow. All we can do is guess at what's wrong! OPT

Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok its weid because i was riding it for atleast 3 hours and shut it off to have a drink.Tried to start it and it just wound over.The battery is in my mates ride on mower and it started first kick.I was smelling fuel that day which i never have dont know if that is a clue to what is wrong with it

Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you're smelling fuel then that's a start! Could be as simple as trash/dirt under the float needle stopping fuel flow or could be stuck open overflowing from the bottom of the carb(notice any fuel on the engine or ground?) First I would pull the plugs and check that you have spark by grounding the plugs on the engine block. If you have spark,then I'd check that you have fuel flow(just pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over,should be a pulse of fuel. If fuel flow is good,you need to check out the carb for any build up from ethanol fuel and clean the main and pilot jets,replace the needle and seat(not worth having to go back in once you have the carb apart if it still has problems!) Plus check for any small black specs in the carb (rubber fuel hoses deteriorating internally from fuel) Lawn mower battery? If it is a different battery you're using, get the correct battery. OPT

Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

no its the right .Was a gel battery and cost 3hundred dollars.Been in the quad for over 2 years.My mate just put it in because his battery was no good and he thought he may aswell keep charging this 1.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Still if you're smelling gas or it's leaking,check that you have spark first and check out the carb. OPT

Quick Reply: Ignition problem