Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2005 Sportsman 700 (carb) not starting, seems completely dead now

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 700 (carb) not starting, seems completely dead now

I was trying to cold start my quad after it sat for a couple months. Immediately, I noticed it was having issues with the starter and or solenoid - it was making a buzzing noise when I turned the key over. The contacts at the solenoid were completely caked in dirt, so I cleaned everything up, tried again while tapping the starter, and got it to turn the motor over a few times. While attempting this, I had a jump starter on the battery since it was struggling to supply enough juice, according to my Fluke meter. After two attempts to get the motor to fire up, the quad went totally dead - no lights, no solenoid click, nothing. Anyone have this issue before?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

First question did you have the ecm replaced under the recall?? Huge ATV Recall by Polaris - Sportsman and Scrambler Even if you have, the jump box may have damaged the ecm module.It controls more than just the charging and fan operation! Check the connections going into the module for any burnt looking wires,plus smell around a little. If it's burnt you'll know it pretty quick!Plus disconnect the battery and get a new one! It may "reset" between this time. That's one of the reason I hate jump boxes and jumping from auto batteries. OPT

Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check the main fuse for the no power problem. Try jumping across the solenoid.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old polaris tech. I am new to the board. Check your PM I have a ? About the sportsman 700 ignition kit upgrade

Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Answered your pm. Yes the ground wire on the kit(brown)mounts to the stator wire retainer plate. OPT

Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by wistler1
Check the main fuse for the no power problem. Try jumping across the solenoid.
Thanks for the reply wistler. I'll do this when I get a chance tomorrow. Where is the main fuse located?

At one point, I tried jumping the solenoid and got the same results, which led me to the starter. It's definitely got some issues, and will get rebuilt or replaced very soon.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
First question did you have the ecm replaced under the recall?? Huge ATV Recall by Polaris - Sportsman and Scrambler Even if you have, the jump box may have damaged the ecm module.It controls more than just the charging and fan operation! Check the connections going into the module for any burnt looking wires,plus smell around a little. If it's burnt you'll know it pretty quick!Plus disconnect the battery and get a new one! It may "reset" between this time. That's one of the reason I hate jump boxes and jumping from auto batteries. OPT
Thanks for the reply OPT. I'll get a new battery for it, since this one tests a little low. Electronics are how I make a living, so the smell is quite obvious for me, when present. I'll know what to look for. FWIW, I am the second owner, and do not know if the ECM has been replaced. What would it cost to replace this?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cheapest place is at Cycle Parts Warehouse in most instances. Plus you can check around. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Item #24 is the ecm and shows the new number. If you still have the BLACK Chinese module,it's possible you can still get it warrantied. This was a safety bulletin and shouldn't be a time limit on replacing it. Even if you have the Silver finned module that was the replacement they can go out also.Jumping the machine off could possibly have fried the ecm!! As far as fuses, this module has internal fuses also.There is No inline fuse in a plastic pouch like the older models had. OPT

Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, thanks for the additional info. I'll check the make of the ECM tomorrow and verify. Btw, how would I go about contacting Polaris about the recall? There's no info on the previous link.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just supply your vin# to a local dealer if you still have the black Chinese module. 17 digit Vin # is located on left lower frame behind the a-arm.Hopefully if you have the silver Shure Power module, a new battery might be all that's needed. OPT

Quick Reply: 2005 Sportsman 700 (carb) not starting, seems completely dead now