Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

04 sportsman 600 - electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 600 - electrical issue

atv stopped yesterday; have lights but when turning the starter key i hear a click sound that is coming from the magnetic switch (p/n3087196) but it still will not start. when checking all of the electrical connections i touched the two terminals together on that switch and the atv tried to start.
could the switch be my problem with no crank but has power? if i did keep touching the two connections together will the atv start and run?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check first with a test light or ohm meter that you have power to the small wire leading to the solenoid with the key on/trying to start. If you do have power then it's possible the solenoid is the problem. If there isn't power to this wire could be an ignition switch problem or short in the wiring. Plus since the solenoid is at least clicking,don't overlook the battery itself or that the battery terminals are tight. If in doubt have the battery load tested. It may have enough amperage to jump start off the solenoid,but not enough through the ignition switch if you possibly could have a dead cell in the battery. OPT
OPT

Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

ignition seemed to work ok; switch on, dash lights up and lights work. got sparks when touching the two solonoid terminals together (doesnt that mean i have power to the switch and hearning the click sound when turning the ignition key?) come to think of it, the lights seemed to be yellow; battery issue as you mentioned?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by 1988rrc
ignition seemed to work ok; switch on, dash lights up and lights work. got sparks when touching the two solonoid terminals together (doesnt that mean i have power to the switch and hearning the click sound when turning the ignition key?) come to think of it, the lights seemed to be yellow; battery issue as you mentioned?
That's why I said you probably have power to the solenoid from the switch since it's "clicking",but check to eliminate any switch,wiring,or connection problem. You can actually show 12 volts,BUT amperage may be low on the battery from a dead/shorted out cell! Just have the battery load tested at any auto store. It's surprising how many problems are solved by a simple battery load check or replacement. OPT

Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

i also remembered the battery terminals were loose, which i checked first thing but still no crank........battery got to be the problem. thanks for you help.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Battery could have not been charging also because of loose terminals also!Here's something handy for the tool box especially if any of you guys have multiple machines! Can save a lot of aggravation in eliminating the battery as a problem first!! Battery Load Tester 100Amp Max
OPT