Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2000 Polaris magnum 500 carb and belt.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Polaris magnum 500 carb and belt.

Hi everyone a few more issues and concerns with my machine. I have noticed that when I go through little bit of mud and water my belt starts slipping badly and have no power what's so ever. I have taken the cover off and it was very dirty inside. Any ideas on what I should do to prevent this? I had an issue in the summer time with very hot weather, I left my gas line on and the next day the tank was empty. Leaked out of the carb and also went into the engine oil. I was told that something was wrong with the float :s. Now when I start my machine with the choke on I have to watch the carb overflow because it tends to start leaking when the choke if on with the gas lne on. Any ideas on what could be the issue there?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you need a needle and seat,but ordering one from Polaris or online parts houses costs as much as this kit. Carb Rebuild Repair Kit Polaris Sportsman 500 1999 2000 | eBay
Also if you're getting a lot of water in the clutch it could be either the outer cover seal or the seal behind the front clutch. You have to pop the clutch off to really see if it's torn. Plus one other place is the rubber air inlet sleeve tube at the inside back of the engine itself(but not normally a problem).Mainly item #10 and #25. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
OPT

Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok sounds like a good idea to take off the clutch. Be a good time to change the belt as well. For the carb situation, seems like gas tank has to come off to tackle that job. Any other things to look out for if I'm going that far into it?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have access to an air compressor,blow out the belt dust from the clutches while you're at it. They make a dust storm so have it in an open area.Gas tank doesn't have to come off,just pull the carb back far enough to remove the float bowl so you can replace the needle and seat,plus the jet needle (if you buy the kit) can be installed by pulling the top of the carb off and pulling the slide out. The cables don't have to be removed either,at least I never did. Also on this model make sure the float arm is parallel with the carb body when held upside down after you install the needle and seat.You can bend the float tang a little if you need to.Just pull the air box out of the way to have room to work.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Huge dust storm from the belt dust. Thank you for that never would have thought about doing that ever. As for the carb, I have a repair kit coming and clutch belt. As for the water issue, it was the clutch cover seal. Thank you for all your help. I will be back on to give an update on the carb kit install when it comes in and when I make time for it lol.