Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

How to install flywheel on scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install flywheel on scrambler 500

What is the proper procedure for installing a flywheel back on the crankshaft of my scrambler 500? I am aware that there is a specific torque requirement listed in the manual. The greatest hurdle is how to keep the crankshaft from rotating. Is there a solid method of limiting rotation outside of purchasing a special tool?

If it comes down to it, where would I obtain such a tool?

Bye the way. OPT was right on when he suggested that my backfiring , spitting back , etc stemmed from a bad camshaft on my 2000 scrambler 500 ho. The exhaust lobe was 2mm beyond the wear limits. I really appreciate his expertise.

Many thanks,

Ron

Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you're really dead set or proper torque setting on the flywheel you will need this tool. https://polaris.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=180&cat=1&sub=24
The manual shows torque to be between 58-72 foot pounds. If you walk into most shops and catch a mechanic replacing one chances are you'll see him just "zap" the nut down with an impact wrench! I don't even think I had this tool in my "necessary" tools on the wall(may have,but never used it). Same thing on the front clutch,most guys just impact them on. Both sides of the crank shaft ends are a tapered snug fit,the only difference is the keyed timing slot for the flywheel side. Even a small amount of force on the flywheel nut and you'd have to have the puller to remove the flywheel again! The main thing is don't crank down on the impact enough to break the shaft! Couple of 2 to 3 second impacts and it ain't going no where After a few years you kinda get a feeling for it. On all the other torque settings on the engine,then yes,go by the book!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

speaking of flyweels, how do you remove one? im guessing there is a special puller. im trying to salvage what i can from the other 400 engine that exploded

Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I kinda thought that an impact wrench would work, just wanted to get some feedback to make sure that I didn't screw something up...seems like sometimes I break more things trying to fix them up than I get fixed up
Thanks for the input... Polaris is real proud of their tools...
Ron

Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by exmotocrosser
speaking of flyweels, how do you remove one? im guessing there is a special puller. im trying to salvage what i can from the other 400 engine that exploded
Just a cheap steering wheel puller or a harmonic balancer puller if you want a heavier duty one. Along with (three) 3 inch or so 8 mm bolts for the flywheel.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by RonBonner
I kinda thought that an impact wrench would work, just wanted to get some feedback to make sure that I didn't screw something up...seems like sometimes I break more things trying to fix them up than I get fixed up
Thanks for the input... Polaris is real proud of their tools...
Ron
Yes,they are proud of their tools! Be careful if you have a 1/2" impact! Hit it quick and let off! A 3/8" impact is plenty sufficient to zap the nut also.