Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

USA or BTB Boot for front CV

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA or BTB Boot for front CV

Good morning. This is probably a silly question, but, I need to order a replacement boot for the front outboard CV for my 95 Xplorer 400. I have two options - a USA, or a BTB. What the heck is a BTB? I've searched everywhere and can't find a definition of either. Any idea what the difference is between the two and how I can determine which is right for the Xplorer?
Thanks!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Get the OEM boot. Part# 5222299
I,m a aftermarket fan but AWD fluid,Belt and CV boots seem to be better if there pure Polaris.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Neapco and BTB cv joints were both used simultaneously on all early atvs until 1997 when they started using Neapco only. This mainly affected cv joint replacement as you had to make sure which brand you had as each cv joint would not work on each others shafts!. For the most part seemed like I had as many of one as the other and the boots were different. As TLC mentioned there are aftermarket boots that try to account for both brands,but I just stocked each boot kit for each brand for a good OEM fit. The difference on the boots were for the shaft dimensions which were different and the cv body itself. If you have time and not in a hurry to replace it,just look at the cv joint for the brand to find the correct cv boot or complete kit you need. This diagram shows the area to find the manufacturer. X marks the spot!

Attached Thumbnails USA or BTB Boot for front CV-asptmn500cvjoint-btb.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Thanks guys

Not in a hurry. Retired, and everyday is Saturday. Will look at it to determine if it's USA or BTB, then go buy from the Polaris dealer if I can't find cheaper on-line!

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Boots are not even expensive at a dealer. At least not at ours. My dealer sold me one for like $25 or $30 not even worth shopping on line for. I will pay a "Little" more for the convenience of "Grab and go".

Now when he tried to sell me a Spal rad fan for $320 and they were $65 online,that was a different story.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer

Gotcha! The closest dealer is about a 2 hour round trip, so it's a toss up for convenience. I think they're about $22 online, so no big deal on the price difference. I've got a couple other things to fix, so I'll wait until I know I don't need something else then get up there. Appreciate the heads-up!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The closest dealer is about a 2 hour round trip,
Oh I see.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default After market 4WD Oil

By the way, you mentioned the 4WD Polaris oil. I must have read 100 articles about which oil to use, and seems there were 100 opinions. I got the real Polaris oil pretty cheap online, free shipping. Saves a 2 hour round trip and $12 in gas for the beast I drive. And got something I know will work.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Use the Demand Drive hub fluid. In the "old days" Polaris did use type f transmission fluid for a couple years,some people still use it and swear by it,but the hub fluid is thinner and better suited for the awd and bearings. Same thing on the gear case oil. I'd use Polaris AGL. I've had some machines come in with motor oil in the hubs(bad idea) and had a couple customers just packed the hubs and bearings with grease,an even worse idea! And they wondered why the awd didn't work.