Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

95 Polaris 400...a couple issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Most load testers have a good or bad range and voltage accordingly.Yes 9-10 volts under load isn't very good. Grease the bendix shaft around the cup that pushes down along with a dab of grease in the bendix bushings in the recoil cover. Any good o-ring chain lube is ok to use.

Attached Thumbnails 95 Polaris 400...a couple issues-otc-3181-130-amp-heavy-duty-battery-load-tester-800x842.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thanks. So for the throttle cable it seems to all be working fine right now. I have all the adjustment screws (except the throttle cable thumb screw) all snugged down, b/c from my understanding they only need to be adjusted once the cable gets old. I reread this thread and I just realized i never saw any marks on the pump itself. So when I put the new cable in i Just fed it through the metal lever thing like the old one was. I don't really want to tear it all apart again mostly because I only could use my left hand to operate a ratchet in there. I had the left tire off and the quad jacked up so I was basically sitting in between the left axle and the footwell (thankfully im skinny ) lol Anyway, do you think Ill be okay running it like this OTP?

Old 06-23-2013, 05:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you have the oil pump adjuster close to what the old one was,then you shouldn't have any problems. This pic of a pump shows to be a little on the rich side,but won't hurt. Same if you're a tad lean. The slash mark you can see,the other mark is faint on the post.

Attached Thumbnails 95 Polaris 400...a couple issues-pos1.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

On that picture I can see the threads of the bolt that goes into the oil pump....on mine i have the nut all the way down.

O and what kind of lube do you recommend for the throttle cable?

Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Have at least 5/8" adjuster threads showing on the pump or it could be a little too lean.Almost all I encountered were set around this a or a little more from the factory. Any cable lube is fine,the problem is getting it to thoroughly lube the cable.We used this on motorcycles,best thing around.Motion Pro Cable Luber - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

Uh oh, I will adjust that before I start it next! So then the more threads you see the more rich it is. Does this apply for the throttle cable (on carb and handle bars) to?
I adjusted the throttle cable out far enough to get a smooth idle (on the bars).

I tested it with a multimeter and got 12 then I started it, waited a couple minutes and got 14 so from this I gather my charging system is good. I load tested it and the needle went into the 'weak' zone at about 10.7. So i guess ill be getting a new battery.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

OTP, a recoil housing from a 95 300 2x4 wont fit will it?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't adjust the idle by adjusting the throttle cable! Just have a little slack at the thumb throttle,adjust the best idle by the carb idle adjuster screw. If you can turn the bars and the idle increases,the cable is too tight.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

I did try playing with the big screw on the carb but the only thing that seemed to help was when i adjusted the throttle lever. The idle does not increase with the bars being moved. Is the little brass screw beside the idle screw for the fuel mixture?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The fuel/air screw(behind the idle adjuster) sets between 1 1/2 to 2 turns out normally. Recoil from the same year model 300 is the same.

Quick Reply: 95 Polaris 400...a couple issues