Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Carb drain screw prob.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb drain screw prob.

I recently ran out of gas unexpectedly, I had filled up the day before & did not close the tank after putting my '99 BB 6x6 500 to bed.

After searching for a bit, saw gas leaking from the drain tube on the bottom of the carb... not a huge deal... tightened the screw and reassembled.
Done - so I thought.

The thing is leaking again today? Do I need a new screw? Is a thread locking agent used? Could I use a bit of teflon tape? There is a small indent at the end of the screw, can I grind it flat?

An annoying problem, a pain in the butt to get to and work on!

Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word There is a note in my manual regarding the 1.5" plastic tube attached to the drain "...it must be replaced as this will affect engine performance"

I don't see how this would affect anything, the system is closed?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Usually it's not the drain screw on this.Running out of fuel can suck in trash residue from the bottom of the fuel tank. Even if you have an inline filter all it takes is a small piece of dirt,decayed fuel line,or even a little trash that might have been in the carb to begin with to lodge into the seat area not allowing the needle to fully close and cause the fuel level to rise and out the overflow tube at the top.I've seen this happen several times when people have run dry of gas..If you're going to go to the trouble of tearing into the carb,may as well put a carb kit in it and be done with it..

Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No really - I origionly tightened the screw, after flushing out the seat. It has become loose again. Should I do any of the things in my first post?

BTW - Howcome the post was edited with "...Spam wordSpam wordSpam...." and nothing in the post was changed?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know about the "spam" part.Might be Big Brother editing If the screw itself is the problem by loosening up and leaking,use a little teflon on the threads and see if that helps. Best to have an overflow/drain tube that extends down past the bottom of the frame to keep gas off the engine and starter area.