Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1993 350L same ol carb problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 350L same ol carb problem.

OK I Still have gas dripping out of my carburetor..I gave up on the is machine for a while, and finally decided to give it another go.

Here is what I have done so far:

* re-bore the head (PSI saw 90, now approx. 135)
* new reeds
* carb re-build kit
* Replaced needle jet assembly not included in the re-build kit
* all fuel lines

I put her back together, and she ran just perfect.
all the sudden dripping out of the carb.
I pull the carb out, and set the float lever a little more than level with the carb body.....Put it together again, and drip drip drip.
pull the cab out again.. set it a little more and all over again...still dripping.

Is did this about 10 times, to the point that the needle and seat did not allow gas into the carb.... I thought great, just vend it back a little bit, at lead I know the needle and seat will seal.

I bent it back ever soo slightly, and there it is again.

I did one time while the carb was apart fill the bowl with gas to make sure the floats are moving, and they move fine.

This same machine was at a repair shop last year for the same issue...he finally gave up in it, and gave me my money back....I just don't know where to go from here.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Fill the carb bowl up with fuel almost to the top and see if it leaks through the overflow tube.Doesn't happen often,but the small brass tube can split causing leaks. If the overflow tube is okay,then I'd replace the float arm and float pin especially if it's wobbly and the pin shows wear. They don't come in carb kits and most people overlook these two items. Item #13 and 14.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus don't overlook the floats themselves for any small cracks.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT thanks.

Will do (fill the bowl) makes sense..... I did check the floats also...I submerged them in water over night and there was nothing inside them... FYI I put a string thru the hole that slides on the pin, and tied the string to a weight....Yes also did a visual at all the seams and such...Ill let you know how I make out tonight.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

filling the bowl didn't work... even put my finger on the tube, and blew into the hose to give it a little pressure...there were no air bubbles...I order a new pin, and arm...should have them at the end of the week...hopefully this will solve it..thanks OPT

Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Im just sitting here thinking...if replacing the pin and arm doesn't work, where do I go from there....It would be nice to have some ducks in a row, instead of working on it for an hour, and waiting for 2 or 3 days for parts, after the pin and arm all the parts inside the carb are brand new....Thanks again for all your help.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it still leaks with a new float arm and pin and you're sure the new needle valve,needle and fiber washer are ok,plus the floats and bowl are ok,then I'd seriously look for another used carb on Ebay! New carbs run about $375 at Cycle Parts Warehouse! Way too much!