Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2002 Polaris 500 HO Fueling issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris 500 HO Fueling issues

Hello, Been browsing here for awhile fixing cv issues as well as cooling issues, however this issue has come and gone then come and gone, and now it has come and I am tired of dealing with it, so I am posting up here to see if I can get some help.

Here's the issue.

I can get the behemeth started, eventually, usually after 2-3 hours of working on getting it to pump fuel. This issue all started when my buddy that I got it from decided to replace all the fuel lines (including the vacuum line). He did them all with 1/4" fuel line, and I thought at first it was a vacuum leak on that side of the pump because it wasn't replaced with vacuum line. So I installed worm drive clamps on the vacuum line, Fuel pump side and carb side, and it ran just fine. Drove it all weekend at Busco Beach, no problems (minus a cooling issue that I took care of today and the fuelling issue is back). Now it has done this twice to me today, idling for long periods of time, it will cut off and wont start back up, and this is killing me. The first time it did it, I went out and bought some 5/32 id vacuum line, installed that, and it fired right up. No issues, drove it around the yard, and what not. Didn't cut off and kept on running. Well about this time I am cleaning up from working on the cooling issue, and I am letting the ATV idle and it goes through 2 cycles of the fan operating, and then it dies out, and I can't get it to restart. This is absolutely making me pull my hair out (and i have a buzz cut). My buddies and I are planning a trip at the end of the month to the Hatfield & McCoy trails, and I need this thing ready. I don't want to spend the $ on a fuel pump and then not have it work, I just don't understand why its loosing its "prime". I will say that my buddy did install a clear in line fuel filter between the pump and the carb so he could watch it, and I feel like my next step should be to eliminate this because it could be loosing its prime? I don't know I am stummped at this point and I am just about to throw in the towel... Can ya help? Sorry about the book. Wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If any 1/4" lines are still on the machine I'd change out to regular 5/16" fuel line. The clear fuel filter shouldn't be causing a problem. I'd check also on the tank vent hose to make sure it's not kinked causing a vapor lock. If it dies on you again,pull the carb fuel line and crank it over. Should be a steady pulse of fuel. If not then sounds like a diaphragm in the fuel pump might be sucking air,then could be time for a new pump.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definitely try that. I believe the hose on the tank vent is non existent/ hasn't been on there in god knows how long. Thanks OPT, I will update when I dig into this thing.