Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Advice on '04 Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on '04 Sportsman 500

Just bought it today.. Speedometer doesn't work... Seems cold natured, when first started it idles ok but when put in reverse or high gear and I press throttle it starts to die... After several minutes it gets back to normal.

I guess I'm asking is there anything that you would suggest that I do to get this thing set up right??

Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you just bought it,I'd do a complete service just for peace of mind. As far as speedo not working, if it's not registering speed or miles could be as simple as the hall effect sensor on the right front caliper needs replacing or even the connector may be unplugged from the speedo? Item #28.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Plus here's a cheap 5 buck manual that's well worth the money.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2004-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Range Rover

...are you letting the engine warm up long enough.Not an expert my any means but it could be as simple as that seeing you said its fine after a few minutes of running.As far as the speedo is concerned,what OPT said.Your lucky if its just the hall sensor,new pod is exspensive!!!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I think I saw new cluster was $247, wiring is all hooked up. Not sure what the problem is. Are these ATVs known to be cold natured? I've usually dealt with Suzuki KingQuads and never had to let it warm up. Bottle of SeaFoam help? Or is that a no-no??

Old 10-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

Like I said I am no expert,but I do know mine likes to be up to temp. before riding.
MY display was flashing awhile back,it was dead battery,did you check your battery.I think my hall sensor is bad too because needle does not move,not relly concerned about it,but display is fine since I charged battery over nite
To be honest I have no idea what sea foam is used for,like i said,no expert here,lol

Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Huntfish53
Yea I think I saw new cluster was $247, wiring is all hooked up. Not sure what the problem is. Are these ATVs known to be cold natured? I've usually dealt with Suzuki KingQuads and never had to let it warm up. Bottle of SeaFoam help? Or is that a no-no??
Not really that cold natured,but since you just bought it,could need fresh gas,carb cleaned,air filter dirty,etc?? Seafoam,Stabil etc is good for maintenance ,but if the carb is dirty or fuel is old,this needs to be addressed. A good once over and maintenance service is worth peace of mind too. Pull the big connector on the back of the speedo. Should be 12 volts to the red wire even with the key off that's for memory at least. If the speedo is bad,yes they are expensive,plus in most cases you may not have awd as it goes through the speedo along with the reverse limiter. Just jack all wheels off the ground and see if the front tires turn while in awd mode.There are bypasses for the awd if you don't want to replace the speedo.