Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Sportsman 500 Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 Trouble

I believe it is a 1996. Couldn't find vin but seen model number. Its a 500. I have a starting issue. I bought it for 700 bucks. Looks like it was barely even ridden. It has a start issue.

I clean out flywheel housing had water and grease inside. Bendix gear was bad also it was missing the bushing. You could hold start button and pull the cord "keeping pressure" on it. It would crank. If you gave it any gas it would stall.

Anyone have any ideas? Starter does sound like it is free spinning now. But doesn't engage. But a bad starter would make the tension needed on the pull cord would it?.

Like to get this running. Oil clean, piston looked good. Seems they had a issue with override and left it. So where do I start now?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check this place out for starters and bendix if you need one or the other or both. DB Electrical - Sportsman Then sounds like you may need a carb kit.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Range Rover

I replaced the bendix, but the starter washer has me puzzled it was missing.

Also why would you need to put tension on the pull cord to get the bendix to engage. Hate to throw it on cl or have some local charge me a arm and it be a over looked error issue. Any help would be greatful thanks for responding all week not one other site has help any

Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you're talking about the washer behind the bendix,check the old one to see if it's still stuck on. If it's not a local hardware store may be able to help you on this thin washer. If you have to pull the recoil to move the flywheel a bit to get the bendix to engage is either because of the missing washer or the bendix(even though new) is sent dry and may need a little grease around it to get it to engage the flywheel properly,then kick back in out of the way. Item #13 on the washer. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Range Rover

Thanks am going to take it apart and check. Will report back.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Range Rover

I check polaris oem part numbers. Seen the starter bushing. Doesn't match the washer/bushing in videos. ???

Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you're talking about the starter bushing and not the washer behind the bendix,there are two bushings.One in the recoil housing and one in the engine case. If either are galled or damaged they can cause problems with the bendix operating properly. #9 in the parts breakdown,one in the engine is the same#.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you're talking about the starter bushing and not the washer behind the bendix,there are two bushings.One in the recoil housing and one in the engine case. If either are galled or damaged they can cause problems with the bendix operating properly. #9 in the parts breakdown,one in the engine is the same#.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
So number 9 is in just flywheel housing? I figured cooper washer behide bendix and starter bushing in front of bendix. Thanks for help. Really want to try out this awd and 500cc. Honda Rancher 400 was a major let down.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Range Rover

Also I read you post a out unplugging a black wire to disengage override system? I can't seem to find out the yr am guessing its a 96. Circuit board is in front of atv under headlight.

Name:  20130822_125137_zpscbda7fe2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  112.5 KB

Quick Reply: Sportsman 500 Trouble