Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

output shaft bearing and sprocket removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default output shaft bearing and sprocket removal

1993 Trail Boss 350L 4x4

Trying to replace the rear and center chains and sprockets.

I have everything apart, except the output shaft bearing and rear drive sprocket (the inner sprocket on the trans output shaft). It appears to me, that I have to remove the output shaft bearing, then I can remove the snap ring and slide the sprocket through the hole the bearing was in. The manual does not say anything about replacing chains, but as I look through it, I can piece together removal of the bearing...

The manual says:

"On models with a lock collar, loosen the collar set screw. Rotate collar out and away from inner bearing race. NOTE: Late models us a bushing carrier instead of a flangette retained bearing."

The parts diagram for my wheeler does show a lock collar.

This paragraph and the accompanying pictures leave alot to be desired...

Now the first question I have is - Is it actually a set screw on this model? I cannot see it very well, but there are two holes in the "lock collar" and they are not centered in the collar. The way the holes are positioned in the collar it seems it would be a roll pin...

If it is indeed a set screw - What size is this set screw? I cannot see it well, and I have tried every size of metric and SAE allen wrench I have, nothing seems to really grab....

Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

It is indeed a lock collar with a set screw.Think it's either a 5/64, 3/32 or 7/64 allen head set screw.I had to look at my small allen wrench set to try to remember the size.. Plus once out of the way along with the bearing carrier and inner transmission sprocket,don't be alarmed if the new sprocket won't slide onto the shaft and go through the cut out hole! If it does just see where the sprocket tooth hits and dremel the opening a tad. Over the years things shift around and have had that happen several times before. Jogging my old memory on something 21 years old http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...1993&fveh=5372

Attached Thumbnails output shaft bearing and sprocket removal-2405_2405029a.jpg  
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
It is indeed a lock collar with a set screw.Think it's either a 5/64, 3/32 or 7/64 allen head set screw.I had to look at my small allen wrench set to try to remember the size.. Plus once out of the way along with the bearing carrier and inner transmission sprocket,don't be alarmed if the new sprocket won't slide onto the shaft and go through the cut out hole! If it does just see where the sprocket tooth hits and dremel the opening a tad. Over the years things shift around and have had that happen several times before. Jogging my old memory on something 21 years old http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...1993&fveh=5372

how do you remove the carrier bearing plate that exposes the hole in which the sprocket slides off the shaft ? I have the two carrier bolts out that hold the plate on but I can't get the plates to budge and the collar is off. Any knowledge on this problem would sure be appreciated, thank you

Old 02-03-2020, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Brizzeck
how do you remove the carrier bearing plate that exposes the hole in which the sprocket slides off the shaft ? I have the two carrier bolts out that hold the plate on but I can't get the plates to budge and the collar is off. Any knowledge on this problem would sure be appreciated, thank you
Any chance you figured out how to get that plate off ? I'm in the same situation right now, trying to remove the whole gearcase and the only thing holding me up is getting that plate off. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2020, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jamie2666
Any chance you figured out how to get that plate off ? I'm in the same situation right now, trying to remove the whole gearcase and the only thing holding me up is getting that plate off. Thanks!
I have not tackled it yet but I'm planning on it this weekend. I was told I need to heat it up with a torch so it would come off. I know I'll have to replace the bearing but if that's what I have to do to get the plate off then I'll replace the bearing no problem. If you find out a quicker, better or easier way to do it just enlighten me a little bit if you would. Thanks

Old 02-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Brizzeck
I have not tackled it yet but I'm planning on it this weekend. I was told I need to heat it up with a torch so it would come off. I know I'll have to replace the bearing but if that's what I have to do to get the plate off then I'll replace the bearing no problem. If you find out a quicker, better or easier way to do it just enlighten me a little bit if you would. Thanks
I ended up using a 3 prong gear puller with an impact to get it off....not sure that was the right way to do it but it worked....it was really pressed on there though and took some significant force to slide it off. I'm guessing that won't be an option for you since you're not removing the gearcase so won't have the room to put the prongs behind the plate. Let me know how the heat goes....I'm not sure how I press this thing back on though since it has to be done with the transmission in.