Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Please Help! 425 Magnum Rear Drive Sprocket Removal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please Help! 425 Magnum Rear Drive Sprocket Removal...

I'm working on my uncles 425 Magnum. He didn't keep up on the chain adjustment and ended up tearing the teeth off of the rear drive sprocket. Anyway, I'm here hoping that someone can help me figure out how to get the *&#@ thing off. This think looks to be a bear. If you start from the left side of the machine and work your way right following the drive shaft that the drive sprocket mounts to you'll see where the secondary clutch mounts to the shaft on the left side (the big plastic cover gives it away). It then goes through some sort of resivor built into the case. It comes out the right side of the case and through the drive sprocket. After the sprocket it goes through a carrier/bearing bolted to the frame. After this it sticks out enough to have the rear disk brake bolted to the end. I don't think that the sproket will fit through the carrier/bearing hole (even if you moved the caliper, removed the brake disk and took out the carrier/bearing). It almost looks like you would have to pull out the drive shaft from the opposite (left) side after removing the secondary cluth (left side) and brake disk (on the right side).

Sorry if my explanation is confusing, I'll get a picture tonight and let everyone look at it. Is there someone out there that's run into this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

P.S. Anyone know of a bomb-proof chain/sprocket combo and where to get it? I'm thinking I don't want to do this again anytime soon...

Old 11-04-2003, 07:52 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont be skart it aint hard.Take the rear caliper ,first sprocket off then take the carrier bearing out(this is a good time to upgrade it) then you can get the sprocket off.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LIKE THE PREVIOUS ANSWER..It is much simpler than it looks..remove chain guard(black plastic) brake disc..outer sprocket..shaft bearing (two bolts)there my be shims here so watch for them...the sprocket will slide through hole for bearing...had three magnums and changed a few ..takes about 30-45 minutes...Hope this helps...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you. I got it last night...I feel kinda dumb, you both were right, not that hard. The hardest part was getting the snap ring off the shaft (without snap ring pliers) to remove the sproket. Thanks again, I appreciate the help!