Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

opt need help with 94 polaris 400L 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

the brown wire comes off cdi...goes to one side of toggle switch...then other side they put two wires one going to startor plate as a ground and the other to the fuse box and thats a ground too....hope that helps. i took one off fuse box...its still grounded...ran a new one to stator place...but old one was grounded too i tested it each way...

Old 09-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mauser98
the brown wire comes off cdi...goes to one side of toggle switch...then other side they put two wires one going to startor plate as a ground and the other to the fuse box and thats a ground too....hope that helps. i took one off fuse box...its still grounded...ran a new one to stator place...but old one was grounded too i tested it each way...
Just noticed your last post and this does sound a little fishy if a shop previously had to do this to get it to run. Could be a main ground problem. I'd especially check the main ground going to the engine from the battery along with the engine to frame ground on top of the rear motor mount.Plus not unheard of to have circuit board terminal problems. If all this checks out,then could be a stator problem if the guys you plan on taking it to can't track down the problem.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

ive decided not to take it to them til next week....the bushing in the starter/pull cord housing
cracked...and the starter quit working right...so i had to order one of them...i did the whole starter rebuild kit and the bushing comes in it...ill rebuild the old starter while im at it...then with a working starter ill take it up...ill ck the grounds this weekend and go through the term. box and see what that is doing...i have the breakdown printed out. thanks again....i missed that 500...it sold same day...i didnt even get the guys phone number yet..some local guy said SOLD ill be right over....im about 75 miles away....DANG.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Range Rover
Default whelp...i didnt take to shop

i let it sit and after deer season im gonna get back to it...gonna order a new carb and then if it dont run go for electronics ie stator and coil...its gonna be soemthing....after carb ill have 600 into it....a few more bucks wont matter...cant buy one for the price i have into it and when im done it will be like new....ill keep ya posted and probably ask for more help...

Old 11-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

any update on this

Old 11-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Range Rover
Default oh yeah.....long ago

if you read the 1000 pages lolololol...it was the puter....i replaced that and runs like a top....has since...no test for it...no nothing...just replace with known good one...REAL NICE...it was a winter project...i ended up redoing the whole thing...now ive got a 1994 thats about new....ive used it 3 hunting seasons now...put a winch on it...works fine