Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Oil Cooler Fan Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

These oil lines do get a little toasty considering the fan is only supposed to kick on at 260 degrees and kick off at 240 degrees. Hope it's an ecm problem on the fan and hopefully you don't want to beat me over the head with it if it's not.. Like the old saying,don't shoot me,I'm just the messenger..Again don't forget that cheap manual that can possibly save you some bucks..

Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries! The guy at my local shop agreed that this is prolly the issue. When I told him of the slower speed of the fan he said its probably a grounding issue within the ecm. Time will tell!

Again, I'll post up a report once comeplete!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update...

Picked up the ECM... It wouldn't work on my machine! Plug is different! When I did manage to get it hooked up, I did the jump across the oil cooler can plug it wouldn't even run like it did with the old ECM? AND, when I turned the key off, the tail lights and speedo display stayed lit??? SO, I put the original ecm back on and called it quits on that for now...

We did pull the exhaust and cleaned it out just for grins too...

Also, and this is pretty interesting stuff... I pulled the plug wire and the lil metal ring that is inside the plug boot was still on the plug! we pulled the bood off the wire and cut it open and the hard plastic in the boot was broken and it appeared to me that it had been that way for quite some time because I could see where it has rubbed against it self. SO, after scrounging around we were able to track down and make up kit and got'er all hooked back up. Fired right up!

After a pretty hard ride satruday morning... I decided to put a switch in on the oil cooler... that way I'd have the opportunity to increase air flow at the slower speeds thru the trails. The exhaust got hot enough that it was glowing all the way past both bends and half way to the Muffler!

As a whole, the machine is running great, with the exception of the glowing hot exhaust pipe! I did discover while washing all the mud off yesterday, I've got to replace the A-arm bushings... once I got all the mud out the flopped around like a fish outta water!

Have a great day Y'all!

Old 11-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pipe should not be glowing red as usually that's a too lean condition.I'd still check jetting against this carb parts breakdown list. Gotta figure to the colder it gets the leaner most engines run. Might be to your benefit to bump the main jet up,drop the needle clip a notch or so and see if it helps.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT---

how does one go about bumping the main jet up? How do I drop the needle clip a notch or so?

KP

Old 11-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!