Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Can the Polaris Tech help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014 | 11:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech
Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.
If I can't get Polaris to listen to me then I will look at rebuilding the engines but not before every body knows my deal.
I am not a mechanic but I think they have done wrong by me as many others. I am sure there would be enough for some kind of action with what I have read.
It is a shame these days that a handshake on a deal means nothing, everything has to be put on paper and signed off. You sound mindful and a straight shooter and again I am thankful for your input.

Remember not to shoot down the messenger guys!!

Cheers Kim

Old 12-23-2014 | 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

Opt is a great resource here and seems like a great guy also......you 've got the right forum "ask the expert" to get the technical help you're looking for.
If polaris is saying a seal failed, then it should be their bill under warranty I would think. I've never heard that story about having such a plugged air filter that it causes a seal to fail , then it sucks in dust??? In theory it could happen I guess, but again it's machine design that's the problem.....not because you didn't change your air filter every day! When an air filter gets dirty, it affects engine performance, idle, creates a rich fuel mixture condition and maybe fouling a spark plug etc..... Not destroy the engine because of it.....
I think Polaris thinks (as most manufacturers do) that every owner tries to destroy their bike. Rarely following maintenance schedules and then wonder why their bikes don't run right. I believe in most cases , the bikes are driven properly, well maintained and still fail. Most people haven't got deep pockets so they can throw away their 6 -10 thousand dollar investment.
I hope you get some co- operation from Polaris with your issue. Try another forum to see more stories like your own and share your experience. That's what forums are for.... "Polaris Atv Forum"

Take care.....

Old 12-23-2014 | 10:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by KiminWA
Old Polaris Tech
Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.
If I can't get Polaris to listen to me then I will look at rebuilding the engines but not before every body knows my deal.
I am not a mechanic but I think they have done wrong by me as many others. I am sure there would be enough for some kind of action with what I have read.
It is a shame these days that a handshake on a deal means nothing, everything has to be put on paper and signed off. You sound mindful and a straight shooter and again I am thankful for your input.

Remember not to shoot down the messenger guys!!

Cheers Kim
I can understand how you feel,but if the dealer had repaired(or supposed to have repaired) two prior machines from dirt ingestion under good faith then I think the problem is still someone is not cleaning/replacing air filters soon enough. In situations like this you should throw any maintenance schedule away and have a technician look over each machine on a daily basis if need be.If these machines are your lively hood,then I think it comes down to this.Dirt accumulation can work through the filters into the engines. Just like throwing a hand full of dirt directly into the carb. As far as sucking from another location,think the dealer is full of hot air on this as the engine will continue to suck the dirt and air through a filthy filter and damage can begin to happen,plus if the filter gets dirty enough air intake will be blocked and engines will die.Yes,repair the engines,stock up on filters,etc and you may want to consider an after market filter that can handle the fine dirt better like an Uni.Outer layer traps more dirt than the stock pre filter, can be removed,cleaned /oiled installed back,ready for the next work day. http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-AIR-FILTER-POLARIS-SPORTSMAN-500-800-1996-2010-/270974847905?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f175c0ba1&vxp=mtr

Old 12-23-2014 | 05:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kevcules
Opt is a great resource here and seems like a great guy also......you 've got the right forum "ask the expert" to get the technical help you're looking for.
If polaris is saying a seal failed, then it should be their bill under warranty I would think. I've never heard that story about having such a plugged air filter that it causes a seal to fail , then it sucks in dust??? In theory it could happen I guess, but again it's machine design that's the problem.....not because you didn't change your air filter every day! When an air filter gets dirty, it affects engine performance, idle, creates a rich fuel mixture condition and maybe fouling a spark plug etc..... Not destroy the engine because of it.....
I think Polaris thinks (as most manufacturers do) that every owner tries to destroy their bike. Rarely following maintenance schedules and then wonder why their bikes don't run right. I believe in most cases , the bikes are driven properly, well maintained and still fail. Most people haven't got deep pockets so they can throw away their 6 -10 thousand dollar investment.
I hope you get some co- operation from Polaris with your issue. Try another forum to see more stories like your own and share your experience. That's what forums are for.... "Polaris Atv Forum"

Take care.....
Hi Kevcules
Thanks for your reply.
These two particular bikes were sent back to Polaris Central in Perth in August 2013 along with another bike to be fixed.
I got the bikes back in January 2014.
The mechanic at Polaris Central in Perth told me that the dust was being suck in through and oval pipe with a round sealer on it into the lower part of the engine.
They silicone this seal to stop the dust sucking in
They also serviced the three bikes and charged me $772.82 (this did include a battery as one failed within 12 months)
To ship the bikes back to the Polaris Central in Perth then back to me cost me $1650.00

When the bikes come back one had not even being fixed, Polaris had to send the part out to us and we had to fix it, then they said we would be voiding our warranty by doing this. It was the fan and over heating issue.

The other two had dusted engines and were supposed to be repaired under "Goodwill" and within hours of use they started failing again and couldn't start them. Now this was all supposed to be fixed, brand new filters etc... How bad is that!

OPT I do think the seal is faulty and it should never have sucked in dust.
I also asked about the other four bikes if they needed the seal doing and got no answer at all. This was all during warranty period.

I also asked about the filters and they told me if I put an oiled filter on it will choke the bike and I needed to use Polaris Genuine or my warranty is voided.

If "Extra" maintenance on filters is needed in Australia then why is it not clearly stated in the manual. They shouldn't have sold them to me as they knew exactly what I was needing and the conditions here in Western Australia, well most of Australia actually.

Polaris simply sent that email to me so I doubt that I will hear from them again. Oh, they did suggest take the bikes back to the dealer to be looked at but I would be "Charged" for it. But I do think I have a case, I have nothing to loose as I have already lost the bikes and my business.

Can I take this to:

Consumer Affairs?
Department of Fair Trading?
A Current Affair?

Any other suggestions?

Has anybody else had to take action to get action? I would be interested in hearing from you.

Old 12-23-2014 | 05:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No WHERE does it say you have to use Polaris filters,oil,etc or warranty will be voided. Only thing in the manual is that if you use a different type of oil,oil changes may need to be performed more frequently,so it says.. This is just a dealer tactic that many have used.

Old 12-23-2014 | 07:10 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
No WHERE does it say you have to use Polaris filters,oil,etc or warranty will be voided. Only thing in the manual is that if you use a different type of oil,oil changes may need to be performed more frequently,so it says.. This is just a dealer tactic that many have used.

OPT, that's not what I was told and I was vigilant about the fact I had to use Polaris oil and filters to maintain warranty. That's an interesting point, just upselling. It maybe just another tactic but I did use genuine Polaris oil and filters and the bikes failed.

You would think that Polaris would help me after spending a total of $80,000 au with them. (I also purchased a Polaris Ranger Diesel)A very sure and expensive lesson learnt here.

I hope this makes other people aware that research and a reliable dealer are extremely important when purchasing an ATV. The two little Hondas we purchased in 2005 are still going strong after 8 years in the same conditions and never ever broke down. That has to say something!!

Thanks OPT for your help. If I get to fixing these bikes I may need some guidance so I will be sure to message you if I do.

Thanks heaps
Kim

Old 12-23-2014 | 07:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by KiminWA
The two little Hondas we purchased in 2005 are still going strong after 8 years in the same conditions and never ever broke down. That has to say something!!

And I bet both have foam air filters! This is something Polaris has needed to address for years..I've thrown this at several Polaris engineers over the years,but seems it fell on deaf ears.But they saw fit to have them on the imported youth models and the Polaris Outlaw(A KTM engine which always had one) and not on the other models.Hope you get the machines up and running,but I would seriously consider better air filter options for your conditions.

Old 12-24-2014 | 07:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Some conditions are worst then others ,so you may need to clean your air filter more often then most.

I remember seeing a WW2 documentary about the North African war and the Spitfires and Me109 had these strange oversized air filters because the stock ones just could not cope with the dust and sand.

Top is the desert version with its strange oversized chin air filter and the bottom was the stock version that was ok in Europe but not the desert.
Not saying get a oversize air Filter stuffed under your seat but your ATV filter may have to be cleaned after every single ride.

Old 12-25-2014 | 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Kim

No problem.....I don't have as much technical information to give you as OPT, but I've been around cars, trucks and bikes for awhile now, so I too know when it sounds like someone (dealership) is trying to pull a fast one!
I agree with OPT about the stock paper air filters....they are garbage ,but I still won't believe that not cleaning them "often" would destroy an engine! Not even close! I bet most people don't clean or replace their filter until their bike starts to lose power or idle weird and their engines aren't destroyed! A "UNI" foam filter works best for ATV's I find.....they are lightly oiled and stop the dirt from entering the combustion chamber and still let the engine breathe well. Just what an engine wants! I bet those two hondas didn't get near the attention that the Polaris ones did and like you said, they are still running strong! I'm not surprised... I bet no one is.....Unfortunately that should tell you where your next purchases should come from ,if you decided to start your business up again.
I'm not sure who to direct your complaints to but definitely talk to a lawyer also. Local TV stations etc.Try to get your issues brought to light any way you can. Let the Polaris dealership where you bought your bikes know your intentions about making sure lots of people hear your story. I don't think you're getting treated very well and so will lots of others. Maybe bad publicity and poor sales will wake them up?
I wish you luck in your journey for fair treatment and keep us posted

Kevin