Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

02 Sportsman 500 HO stalling in low & reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 Sportsman 500 HO stalling in low & reverse?

I just picked up the 2002 sportsman 500 HO. The engine seems like it wants to stall if I am in low gear or reverse unless I press the reverse override button. It seems to idle fine in neutral and high gear. Advising where to start diagnosing or fix it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Limiter is in the speedo,but you can try this to eliminate the over ride button. If it still tries to die in reverse or forward gear,then the speedo is faulty. "Pre 2003 Sportsman models and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/speedo function button.

*Trace the wires coming from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange).
*Cut and tape both ends of the gray/orange wire.
*Cut the gray/white wire and connect it to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v) wire. Tape the end of the gray/white wire coming out of the switch.
*The instructions say to cut and tape both ends of the purple wire. I did not do this as both of the other wires coming out of the switch effectively disable any function of the purple wire so I left it. This way if I ever want to go back to stock its that much simpler to do."

Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks. Is it difficult to replace the speedo? Is just a "bolt on install" if I can find one at a decent price?

Old 01-15-2015, 04:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's a speedo problem,just a simple swap.If you're electrically inclined some have torn them apart,but was for no display. Don't know on repairing the limiter.AWD and Speedometer don't work - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 01-15-2015, 05:18 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If it's a speedo problem,just a simple swap.If you're electrically inclined some have torn them apart,but was for no display. Don't know on repairing the limiter.AWD and Speedometer don't work - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community
thanks so much for your quick replies as I am doing this online during my midnight shift at work. I will look into your suggestions during the day and keep you posted once resolved. I hope to not bother you going forward with this problem, but anything is possible. Thanks again! Stay safe.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default UPDATE: Found more out about issue :(

Ok, the past few days have been both eventful and trying. I am feeling like I bought a piece of crap as I didn't notice any of these problems when I checked it out the first time. I am worrying that I am going to have to dump a lot of cash into getting this thing (praying for no major engine work) to be dependable and am hoping for the best.

Here is what I have done. I have taken the speedo out to see if there was any condensation or loose connections causing the idle problems which I found nothing. I do have dash lights and hours listed but nothing actually registers as it's driven. I also do not have dash lights (showing oil or gear selection). After pulling the "hood" panel, I saw 2 brown wires that are not connected to anything. One is coming from a sort of fuse/relay pack that is wrapped with a brown and red wire coming out (connected to a red and a red/white wire). the other is coming from the "bike side" harness off the round relay which has 2 brown wires connected to the relay. Both of these brown wires have female connectors on them and do not look like they can be hooked together unless spliced or a jumper (didn't check voltage yet on either).

It seems as though the bike starts well and after setting the idle the low gear stall was fine but the reverse stall is still an issue at all rpms unless the reverse override is depressed. After warming up for about 5 minutes and running it around the yard (bike was definitely warmed up) I heard the fan kick on and thats when things started to show it's ugly head. The bike shut off. I restarted it and it backfired and shut off again. After another restart in neutral, I found I had to depress the reverse override in ALL gears just to drive it. I did not get a chance yet to lift it and check the AWD but once I get a chance I will do so. I plan to replace the speed sensor on the front right wheel next (sometime this week I hope) before moving on to a speedo repair/replacement (and jump out the rev/override). Does anyone have any ideas on my next course of action?

Old 01-18-2015, 03:54 AM
Trailblazer

Pic of under hood....
There is a brown wire I coiled up (coming from the relay that has 2 browns this being one of them)
The brown wire on coming from the left side of the pic comes from a pouch with a red wire coming out (above the brown) and it's connected to a splice with 2 other reds.
Now I am not sure because I did not check with a tester but the cigarette lighter is right above this in the handlebar pod) and it has no wires connected to it. So I was thinking one of these may be intended for that.
Both browns have female connectors so I don't think they fell apart. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by NobleEagle; 01-18-2015 at 04:00 AM. Reason: fixing picture size
Old 01-18-2015, 09:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The pouch holds the circuit breaker for the fan. Evidently it's ok as the fan works.Some machines you do have a spare brown,plus red/white for auxiliary items.Just trace the browns to where they come from. PO may have installed something and removed it.Plus the plug in the headlight takes a red/white and brown.Reverse over ride bypass may help,but rather than pull your hair out,best to have a wiring schematic that you can trace each wire from each module.Plus trouble shooting guides on the speedo. Well worth the 5 bucks. 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 01-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT I just got the whole repair manual on cd off ebay. I am just waiting for it to get here. I am hoping that bypass will fix the problem shutting off when it gets hot. I really appreciate your time in helping me with this issue and I will keep you posted as I find out more. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 02 Sportsman 500 HO stalling in low & reverse?