Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

05 polaris sportsman 500 ecm issue???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axels

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Any unusual noise may be from the plastic roll cage. Common problem on these to crack. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If that's the problem I'd switch to aluminum and solve that from happening again.2004 06 Polaris Sportsman Ranger 500 Front Differential Roll Cage 3234167 | eBay
My bike is a 2005 polaris sportsman 500

If I move the right axel up and down it makes a loud clunk noise feels like it moves over quarter inch.....compared to the other axel which makes a little noise and play is quarter inch right on. Any suggestions...

Last edited by whitty; 10-15-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: 05 polaris sportsman 500
Old 10-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you believe the noise is the front drive shaft and not the plastic roll cage in the diff,then there are complete drive shafts now that are cheap enough to replace the whole thing rather than replace individual cv joints. Just my two cents,if I was needing to replace one side I'd replace both and be done with it,but that's just me.. Here's one for 69 bucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Sportsman-front-left-right-cv-axle-400-500-600-700-800-2005-2006-/261740159226?hash=item3cf0ede0fa&vxp=mtr

Old 10-26-2015, 06:10 AM
Trailblazer

If you believe the noise is the front drive shaft and not the plastic roll cage in the diff,then there are complete drive shafts now that are cheap enough to replace the whole thing rather than replace individual cv joints. Just my two cents,if I was needing to replace one side I'd replace both and be done with it,but that's just me.. Here's one for 69 bucks. Polaris Sportsman Front Left Right CV Axle 400 500 600 700 800 2005 2006 | eBay
Thx old polaris......

Turned bike over and it didn't start. Read voltage at battery 12.7v read 7v on the other side of the solonoid is that right or is my meter or solonoid bad. I will try another meter today. With the 7v the starter doesn't turn over or make a noise. Any suggestions.........

Old 10-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Make sure all connections are clean and tight.Even though the battery may show 12.7 volts it still may have an open cell and voltage can drop like a rock when a load is placed on it. Most people think that voltage alone means a battery is up to snuff. Have it load tested first. If it fails the load test replace it. If it tests good,then go from there on solving any other electrical problem.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

Make sure all connections are clean and tight.Even though the battery may show 12.7 volts it still may have an open cell and voltage can drop like a rock when a load is placed on it. Most people think that voltage alone means a battery is up to snuff. Have it load tested first. If it fails the load test replace it. If it tests good,then go from there on solving any other electrical problem.
Load tested ok....solonoid still clicks when I turn key.....12.7 on battery side and 7.8 on solonoid side may be my canadian tire meter lol......starter no start.....can I bypass solonoid with jumper as some have indicated. If I recall the thing sparks and scares the poop out of me.....any advice here thx

Old 10-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check connections on the starter wire and solenoid first. You can also loosen the starter 10mm nut under the red cap and turn the wire back and forth to get a good connection and then tighten the nut back down. Sometimes connections on the starter it self may cause this.If this doesn't help and the solenoid still just clicks,use an old screw driver to jump between the solenoid posts to see if the starter works. If the starter is ok,just order a new solenoid.And no it wont electrocute you.. Worst it can do is burn your finger a little if you touch the metal blade.. Starter Relay Solenoid Fits Polaris ATV Sportsman 500 HO 2005 New | eBay If the starter is the problem you can get one cheap here or on ebay. http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-1804-sportsman.aspx

Old 10-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

Check connections on the starter wire and solenoid first. You can also loosen the starter 10mm nut under the red cap and turn the wire back and forth to get a good connection and then tighten the nut back down. Sometimes connections on the starter it self may cause this.If this doesn't help and the solenoid still just clicks,use an old screw driver to jump between the solenoid posts to see if the starter works. If the starter is ok,just order a new solenoid.And no it wont electrocute you.. Worst it can do is burn your finger a little if you touch the metal blade.. Starter Relay Solenoid Fits Polaris ATV Sportsman 500 HO 2005 New | eBay If the starter is the problem you can get one cheap here or on ebay. DB Electrical - Sportsman
Hey thx for info.....I used jumper cable clamp and shorted two posts of solonoid and it did arch a bit I left it on for few seconds and smoke started coming from clamp or the solonoid so i aborted my test ...any thoughts of why.....maybe a shorted out starter.....

Old 10-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Or just use the jumper cables. Hook em to the battery, then hook the neg to a good frame ground and either touch the starter wire on the solenoid with the positive lead or go directly to the starter with the positive lead. If the starter works just replace the solenoid. Plus with a simple test light or meter you can tell if the solenoid is jumping power to the starter wire. Just hook the test light lead to battery negative post,touch the test light to the starter side of the solenoid. Should light up when you hit the start button. Same thing on a meter. Negative lead to battery negative,positive lead to starter wire on solenoid. Should show 12 volts when you hit the start button. Possible you may need to replace both the starter and solenoid..

Old 11-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Trailblazer

Or just use the jumper cables. Hook em to the battery, then hook the neg to a good frame ground and either touch the starter wire on the solenoid with the positive lead or go directly to the starter with the positive lead. If the starter works just replace the solenoid. Plus with a simple test light or meter you can tell if the solenoid is jumping power to the starter wire. Just hook the test light lead to battery negative post,touch the test light to the starter side of the solenoid. Should light up when you hit the start button. Same thing on a meter. Negative lead to battery negative,positive lead to starter wire on solenoid. Should show 12 volts when you hit the start button. Possible you may need to replace both the starter and solenoid..
Hey old polaris did testing you said and pulled out starter as it wasn't budgin and it's seized. So will need a new starter thx for helping me I appreciate it. Should I order the starter with the gear thingy piece or starter by itself......

Also the sleeve that screws into case where pull cord goes in is stripped. The actual threads in the case. So water has been going in. Any suggestions as to what I could do to fix it rather than buy a new case cover. If not what is the part I need.

Thx scott

Old 11-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Get the starter and gear shaft(bendix) at the same time from DB electric. They have a cheap 50 buck starter combo or a 112 buck combo for the Sportsman. DB Electrical - Sportsman Guess you're talking about the case nipple? You can try JB Weld 5 minute epoxy and also silicone the rope handle to keep water out. Look over the parts breakdown.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Quick Reply: 05 polaris sportsman 500 ecm issue???