Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2003 700 Rod/Crank Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 700 Rod/Crank Replacement

Hoping OPT can weigh in here, others welcome as well...

Here's what i know...

Had a knocking sound, coupled with loss of power when riding about a month ago.
Have torn down top end of engine, found that all top end stuff is good, but left rod has significant play, resulted in piston hitting bottom of head at increased rpm
Have pulled motor, getting ready to split case and assume I am going to need a new crankset.
Do you have any info on Crankworks in AZ and their ability to repair?
Where can I get the best kit that includes all the gaskets and seals that will need replacing?
I'm assuming that the wrist pins are good, but will plan to replace rings while i have everything apart.
Any gotchas that i should be aware of splitting this case?

Have a great day, thanks for taking the time to read...

Old 11-03-2015, 10:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

They mainly work on the Rzr 800 engines from what I've seen,but think there are several places that you can get a remanufactured crankshaft for the 700 or that can rebuild yours,I just haven't checked around. Some have said it's almost impossible on the 700,just don't know off hand. I just ordered them from Polaris and they're not cheap. I've had plenty of experience with thrown rods also on these. All kinds of gasket kits,etc on ebay.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...t+kit&_sacat=0 Did find a place that says they rebuild the 700 and 800 cranks. $295+ parts?? http://www.labaronspowersports.com/c...rebuilding.htm
Says that they can handle the 700 crank shaft..
" -Some machines are known for crankshaft issues and failures, most notably Polaris 800cc liberty twin and Ski Doo 800cc cranks, Honda 450cc crankshafts and Polaris Sportsman 700 cranks. We have the specialized equipment and experience to rebuild several model crankshafts. We have access to billet steel PTO ends, larger quality bearings, lightweight heavy duty connecting rod kits, and more..."

Last edited by old polaris tech; 11-03-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Crank shaft rebuilding
Old 11-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, I will look into these. Did correspond with Crankworks, but they do not service the 700 cranks, told me either to get OEM or Hot Rods.

What's your thought on replacing rings and having cylinders honed while it's apart?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

All depends on the shape of the cylinders. You can't really do much with the Nicasil plated cylinders but give them a light hone. If pistons are within tolerance and not scored then just rings would possibly be ok. A manual on tearing one apart and timing the gears,torque specs is important to have. Here's a cheap one that can help.2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks - I do have the Service manual, so i am all set with that. I have done a lot of reading on this, will continue to reach out to experts like you for input.