Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Need Polaris Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015 | 09:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Question Need Polaris Help

I have a 95 polaris Magnum 425 that will not shut off with the key or kill switch. It starts and idles okay, but will not shut off. It is also burning out all of the lights, when you rev it the lights brighten and then fry. I changed the voltage regualtor, did not help. I had the battery tested, parts store said it's good. Any help would be great.

Old 11-01-2015 | 02:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First off check the circuit board to make sure the black kill wire from the cdi is plugged in along with the black wire from the ignition switch.If either one is unplugged you can't kill the ignition. More than likely the ignition switch is bad,but ohm it out to confirm.Plus does the emergency on/off switch kill the engine? Rare cases the cdi itself can be the problem in the kill circuit but eliminate both the ignition switch and left control switches and wiring before you throw a cdi at it. Also you say you changed the regulator. What is it charging back to the battery at an idle? If over 15 volts then could be a stator charge coil problem. The wiring schematic along with the trouble shooting guides in the manual is probably your best bet on tracking down these problems.
http://visit.tradebit.com/visit.php/...75/264162958/9

Old 11-01-2015 | 10:12 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default stumped on magnum

I checked the wires from the ignition switch and cdi, both are connected and making contact. I can start it if the key is in the on position and kill switch is on, once started it will not shut off with either one, so I turn the key and kill to the off position and disconnect the red wire on voltage regulator and it shuts down. I can ohm test the ignition and kill switch. This must be related to the problem with the lights burning out?

Old 11-01-2015 | 11:46 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

also checked the kill switch and ignition switch both check out good. When I put a voltage meter on battery I get 12.7 volts, i leave it on and rev it up in neutral and it does not change? Could this be a charging problem somehow?

Old 11-01-2015 | 12:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bpkislia
also checked the kill switch and ignition switch both check out good. When I put a voltage meter on battery I get 12.7 volts, i leave it on and rev it up in neutral and it does not change? Could this be a charging problem somehow?
If it's not charging at least 14 volts back to the battery at an idle or slightly above an idle,you've probably got a bad charging coil in the stator if you've already replaced the regulator. One simple way of checking the stator is checking resistance between the yellow wires coming from the stator to the regulator. They should show some small resistance between each other with no yellow wire shorting to ground. The manual can get you more detail on what to check.

Old 11-01-2015 | 02:19 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default magnum trouble

yes I checked the ohms from stator as per the manual and according to that the stator must be bad, I am trying to get to it right now, having issue getting the flywheel off. Im assuming I have to use jack bolts of some sort to get it to pop off?

Old 11-01-2015 | 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best to use a harmonic balancer puller o r a strong steering wheel puller. The 3 bolts are 8 mm x 1.25 mm pitch if I remember correctly. Here's a good video on this. Doesn't apply to your machine but at the 4 minute mark shows the puller.

Old 11-01-2015 | 02:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Wow thanks OPT you are a huge help. I found 3 wires yellow, yellow red, yellow brown that had been melted, either externally or internally. Running from regulator to stator, I cut and tested from there to stator. There is no resistance so I am assuming whatever happened has fried stator or is due to bad stator.

Old 11-01-2015 | 07:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you haven't ordered a stator yet you can try one of these cheap ones. Stator Coil Polaris Magnum 425 95 98 Sportsman 400 01 02 500 96 97 Xplorer | eBay

Old 11-01-2015 | 07:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you haven't ordered a stator yet you can try one of these cheap ones. Stator Coil Polaris Magnum 425 95 98 Sportsman 400 01 02 500 96 97 Xplorer | eBay Or you can try Ricks who I know has good stators but higher priced. Or even Ricky's stators. 150 bucks and one year warranty.Ricky Stator - Products

Quick Reply: Need Polaris Help