Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1996 Polaris Magnum Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Polaris Magnum Overheating

Hello,

I recently bought this quad from a mechanic that owns a smaller power sports store. 1996 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4. Anyways, the wife and I took it out the other day and within 20 min. the coolant was boiling in the reservoir. The fan was also not running. I immediately shut it off for a while before driving home as do not want to do further damage. There is no electronics, so no temp. gauge for a heads-up. Called the guy and he said that the fan was hot wired so that it would run when the wheeler's key was on, although not doing what he has told me. Any suggestions would be great.

Was thinking the water pump? Thermostat? I am new with wheelers and wish there was a configuration guide on where these were located.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can check the fan by direct voltage to see if it's ok or just simply ground out the two spade connectors with needle nose pliers and the fan should kick on. The sensor completes the ground path for the fan.If the fan is ok,then most of the time the radiator sensor is the problem. It's right below the radiator cap and prone to burnout if the coolant level falls below it. You can try to match this one up from an auto store. Item #13.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Also leave the radiator cap off after repair and coolant fill and run the machine until the fan cycles on and off several times to remove any trapped air. Best to have a good service manual.http://visit.tradebit.com/visit.php/...75/264163234/9