Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay opt I think I figured out most of what you were advising me to check out...

exciter coils-
red to green (on the box side 13.75ohm) on the other end of the connector -1.7 ohm
black/red to green (on the box side 12.22ohm) on the end of the connector - .433kohm which my father told me is 433ohms

pick up coil- (I am assuming this is called the trigger coil?)
white to white/red- (on the box side 1.973 kohms which I believe means 1,973 ohms) on the other end of the connector - my meter did not read anything just gave me O.L.

coil primary- (I am assuming this is the coil that the spark plugs is feed from)
tab to ground .3ohm

Coil secondary- This I am still confused what the "Coil secondary(coil tab to wire with cap on 6300 ohms,plug cap 5k ohms." that part I still don't understand.

Last edited by Whitetailhunter8955; 12-22-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-23-2015, 06:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Pick up(pulse coil) sends the signal to the cdi from the stator. Should show around 97 ohms on the white and white/red wires. Check that you have the meter set properly. Coil tab is where the blue wire from the cdi hooks to the coil. Remove the blue wire and check directly on this "tab" with your meter end,the other end of the meter to inside of the plug cap. Should be around 6300 ohms or so. Plug caps have a resistor inside. If you remove the cap from the wire and meter each side of the cap,it should be around 5k ohms. Exciter coils (1.7 ohms,433 ohms) show to be within range. If you haven't removed the recoil housing I'd do this next and clean any dirt or mud from the stator and inside the flywheel.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

I tested the white to white/red and I am still getting O.L. I am testing them at the connector that comes apart before the black box under the front cover. I found the coil tab like you were talking about but mine has a white/blue wire going to it. also I am not sure what you mean by plug cap, I would assume that the plug cap is the boot that the spark plug pushes into but I am not sure. I have not taken the recoil off so that is the next thing that I will do and I will report back.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

okay I will pull the recoil off and find the pick up coil and test them again at them. will let you know.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

I took the recoil off and found that the pick up coil is destroyed, I also found those two pieces. I saw the link for the pick up coil. is there any particular reason u selected that one? because I found a stator that comes with that pick up coil for the same price. Stator Fits 3085561 3086821 New Magneto | eBay also found the pick up coil for 16 bucks Polaris Sportsman 500 2000 2001 2002 2003 Pulsar Coil 3085360 | eBay

here is a picture of the coil I took out, and the spring and dowl pin that goes to the recoil that I could not find... guess I should have looked better

Old 12-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I just posted a pick up coil mainly for reference. Yes Caltric stators are complete with the pickup coil. Might as well replace the whole thing as cheap as they are.This will give you the excuse to pull the flywheel,clean it and look for the missing ratchet spring if anythings left of it. It may be what took the pick up coil out.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I just posted a pick up coil mainly for reference. Yes Caltric stators are complete with the pickup coil. Might as well replace the whole thing as cheap as they are.This will give you the excuse to pull the flywheel,clean it and look for the missing ratchet spring if anythings left of it. It may be what took the pick up coil out.
I tried posting a picture of the spring and the down from the recoil when it broke but I did find it. And okay I will replace it all. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Hi opt,

hope you had a good Christmas. the stator and pick up coil arrived and in the time since we last talked a few people told me not to replace the stator with this after market one because they have all had problems with aftermarket stators. have you heard of this? you know more than they do so if u recommend I change it I will. the other thing I noticed is that the white/red and white wire are opposite on this new pick up coil than the original/broken one I took off. is that going to be a problem? if I do just end up changing the pick up coil should I splice it together white to white or white to white/red?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've hear some people talk about Caltric stators,but never used one myself.. Had the same problem on a stator from Ricks that had the red and red/white reversed on the pickup coil plug. Rather than splice the wiring we had them overnight a new one which was right. But the stator was about 150 bucks,5 times what the Caltric stator cost you. If mine I'd splice the wires as the thing only cost 30 bucks to begin with.. If you returned it for a swap you may end up with the same thing. If it works,fine.. If not your only out 30 bucks and can warn others if it doesn't..They all can't be bad.

Quick Reply: no spark