Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

97 polaris explorer 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 polaris explorer 400

I just bought this bike lastnight I have no spark if I turn on and off the key while hold the start button I see spark but it is never constant to start bike I cleaned stator, pick up coil bought new battery and plug someone please help pulling out my hair on this one thanks
fred

Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Pull the black wire from the cdi first and see if you have spark. This isolates the cdi from the ignition switch and left on/off emergency kill switch. If you have good spark then the problem could either be in the ign switch or left control switch or their wiring. If pulling this black wire doesn't help,pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module. It's tucked behind the oil tank. When they fail(all do) they can cause erratic problem. Plus check resistance on the pick up coil wires leading to the cdi. Resistance on the pick white to white/red should be around 97 ohms. Also try to pull start instead of using the electric starter and see if it cranks. If it does the pick up coil bracket may need to be "lightly tapped" closer to the flywheel.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did try to pull start same thing no spark when you say disconnect the black wires you mean try to start it with the wire unhooked

Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

also all the lights went out no headlights no tail light and display don't work is there a fuse box anywhere on this machine

Old 02-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Circuit breaker is in a plastic bag up from the battery. They usually get corroded and can stop power to the lights,starter,etc,but don't have anything to do with ignition since this is a magneto triggered ignition system. Slice the bag open and check if it's corroded. You can get these at any auto store. On the black wires,yes unplug them one at a time from then circuit board and check for spark.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

where is the circuit board

Old 02-06-2016, 05:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the front plastic panel. Under it is all the electronic parts. Item#25 on this parts break down is the terminal board where everything connects. Wires and terminals are color coded.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Looks like this only hopefully in better shape.

Attached Thumbnails 97 polaris explorer 400-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

did all of that still nothing spark and then no spark beside the spark is white not blue could I run 12v straight to the coil

Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech I just got a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500. I got a great deal on some 28" tires and was wondering what I will need to do to get these to work on the quad. I have heard that I need to get a 2" lift and then 1 1/2 wheel spacers but not sure. Do you know if this is right or have ideas ? Also do you know where to go to get a Radiator relocation kit for this year?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by ke4amq
did all of that still nothing spark and then no spark beside the spark is white not blue could I run 12v straight to the coil
Can't do this like you could an old car years ago. best to get the service manual and do the troubleshooting checks and resistance tests on the stator and coil.I wouldn't start throwing parts at it.http://visit.tradebit.com/visit.php/...75/264163234/9

Quick Reply: 97 polaris explorer 400