Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Rear brake reservoir hose 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake reservoir hose 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500

Rear brake reservoir hose 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500

What is the rear brake reservoir hose, that goes from the reservoir to the rear master cylinder supposed to be made out of?

Mine looks like gas line.

The numbers on it as best I can see are MP8 WP M1019 C200.

Looks like the MP might be for Multipurpose Push-on Hose. Maybe WP is Working Pressure

I am wondering if this hose is OEM. Or if the hose is made of the proper material to withstand brake fluid.

What type of hose should I order if it needs replaced?

I have some hose here that is good for bio-diesel. I have no clue if that would stand up to brake fluid.

I am wondering if the hose is restricted as will happen with the wrong type of hose.

I have the bleeder out. I was going to try pumping some fluid through it to flush it out.

When I pump it and put my finger over the hole so it can not suck air, it takes a very long time for the suction to be relieved from my finger - like it is having trouble sucking the fluid out of the reservoir.

Any thoughts?

My Mighty Vac is not here yet and I don't want to use my vacuum pump. I'm afraid the brake fluid might mess it up.

This will be my 3rd Mighty Vac. The first 2 were missing pieces and were returned.

More problems for the edit.

when I tried to tighten the bleeder it never tightened. I don't know if I stripped it or if it was stripped before. At any rate, it's stripped now. Bad thing is the bleeder didn't strip. It was the brass fitting, it screws into

Good news is the hose seems good. I disconnected it from the master cylinder and poured some brake fluid through it.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hoses really weren't a problem. Problems in the brake system,especially the rear was caused by the small master cylinder seals that would dry up and wouldn't have a firm pedal and the rear caliper small o-rings that could leak and cause trouble bleeding.New Rear Brake Master Cylinder For Polaris Sportsman 335 400 450 500 600 700 800 | eBay POLARIS SPORTSMAN 335 400 500 REAR BRAKE CALIPER SEAL REPAIR REBUILD KIT OS148 | eBay Wait until you get the mityvac. Hopefully you won't have to replace the small master cylinder or split the rear caliper for the o-rings.

Attached Thumbnails Rear brake reservoir hose 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500-c496f86b6d032557c35f359ff48bb838de52c56e.png  
Old 04-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks,
I was just reading up on that. Is there an aftermarket upgrade for anything there?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Trailblazer

It sounds like I need a new rear master cylinder or a rebuild kit. Which is the way to go?

What brand? The OEM doesn't sound like it's to spiffy. IS there an aftermarket fix?

Aftermarket rebuild kit that is better than Polaris?

Aftermarket rear brake master cylinder that is better than Polaris?

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

They're all Chinese so it doesn't matter.Just order the cheapest one. Seal kits to rebuild them costs as much or more then a new master cylinder.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Trailblazer

IS the Polaris rear master cylinder made in the USA?

I pay extra for domestic parts

I ordered from Quad Logic on Amazon. They claim their part is Made in the USA - About triple the price.

Any seller of a Made in the USA part that does not clearly state that in their ad is losing business. I try to remember to always check for domestic parts.

The OEM part did not state where it was manufactured

Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Very seriously doubt it as well as the repair kits offered.1999-2006 POLARIS SPORTSMAN REAR BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER SEAL REPAIR KIT OS146 | eBay Plus at $110 for an small oem master cylinder,I'd be looking for a cheaper one myself.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

I ordered the Item from Quad-Logic off Amazon for $68.95

I called and asked and they said it was Made in the USA. He said he checked the box. I'll pay extra for domestic parts.

Their Ebay link
Polaris Sportsman 400 500 600 700 800 Rear Brake Master Cylinder 1910790 1910301 | eBay

Amazon: Bad review on Amazon - I hope I do not have to deal with any issues.
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Nowdays you can get bad parts no matter where they're made. Same for the US made ecm modules that can fail same as the Chinese ecms. All you can do is install it and see if it works ok.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

Yep, But I would just as soon support an American's job. I never worked at any factories in China. The job you save by buying American, may very well turn out to be a relative or friend.

I have seen a huge decline in quality in the last 10 years. Especially in seals and bearings.

Used to be it was rare for a new parts to be bad. Now you always have to say that new does not = good.

Which can be especially problematic if the problem is not fully diagnosed - like ECM or other issues are sometimes a narrow it down type of thing.

I've seen guys throw a new part in and say, Well that's not it, Now what?

When in actuality they have 2 bad parts. Sometimes you have to try a known to be good take-off.

Sorry for the rant.

Buy Domestic products when you can. Or try to buy imported that at least have a bit of a level playing field with our manufacturers.