Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Stuck Caliper - 1991 TrailBoss 250

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Caliper - 1991 TrailBoss 250

Hi all, new member here. I was just given a 1991 Polaris TrailBoss 250 2x4. The gentleman that gave it to me has had it since new. He won it in a raffle. He claims it has no more than 200 miles on it. Unfortunately, he hasn't used it in (he guesses) 20 years. I've cleaned the sludge out of the gas tank, got it started (not running very well) and it will move under it's own power. I've ordered a carb kit and will be installing that when it arrives. I have a couple questions though. The first one concerns the brakes. The handlebar and the foot lever barely move and there are no brakes at all. I assumed the calipers are seized so I removed the rear caliper and with some manipulation I managed to get it moving but the brake pedal and lever are the same. I then removed the front right caliper. I cannot get the piston to budge at all. I'm assuming the left side is the same. I did disconnect the brake line from the master and the lever is moving freely so there does not seem to be any problems there. H

ow can I break the caliper piston loose? My second question involves the oil injection system. Other than replacing the old oil with fresh stuff is there anything else that would need to be done? There appears to be a fuel filter in the oil hose. Is this original? Should this be replaced?I will be replacing the fuel line and fuel filter since they've become very dry and brittle. Is there anything else that I should be checking/replacing?

Thanks