Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Ignition problem-- help OPT

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem-- help OPT

I think I am having the 2003 600 twin woes of the igntion system. A week ago machine cranked and cranked and then eventually fired ran great. Tonight it just cranks and cranks but does not fire. I am smelling gas from choking it so I don't think it is fuel related but I am wondering how to diagnose an ignition problem and if I need the whole new kit or if it could be something else. Also, how complex is the kit change over. I have done a lot of mechanical things(boots, axels, radiator, brakes,springs,but nothing electrical). Also, I just don't want to spend $400+ on a kit if there is something else wrong. What can I do to diagnose a faulty ignition system??

Thanks in advance for the help. You have definately been a life saver with previous tips.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Your kit# is 2202603!! One digit different than the 700 kit. If you've replaced axles,cv boots,etc,You can install the kit! Hardest thing is to remove the flywheel without damaging threads on crankshaft! Use a good puller and possibly heat around the flywheel while under pressure. Just take your time on this step! The instructions will take you step by step! The problem is the DUCATI ignition!! OPT

Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Crap...$428 is the cheapest I have found. I tried to start it this morning and it popped once but didn't start. I figured I would start pulling stuff apart to make sure that there isn't just a bad wire somewhere. Would I just pull a plug and crank it over to check for spark or is there some other test to make sure that the ignuition is bad??

Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can pull the right plug wire(the easiest one) and check for spark. The PROBLEM starting from the beginning was that I replaced a bad coil pack,then I had the stator go out on TWO machines! When I tried to order the stator,it transferred over to the complete kit! This ended up costing the customers more money and to my knowledge we NEVER got a recall or service or tech bulletin on the 600 and 700 ignition problems from Polaris while I was still at the shop! After awhile the coil packs were put on back order and now are NLA. They just used up what they had left in inventory I suppose and left the mechanics and customers in limbo! Its a damned if you do,damned if you don't situation! Even if the coil pack is YOUR problem you can't find one(except maybe on E-bay) and they will go out again,just a matter of time! When you look up the stator on the 600 and 700 it shows the replacement kit number which includes a new different coil! Save yourself some headache(I've had enough for the both of us) and just order the kit! PLUS you can check all the other different atv forums and you will see this is not an isolated problem! If I was still working I would still be replacing kits! The Kokusan replacement kit will make it even run better!! Hope this helps! OPT

Old 09-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

OPT,
New ignition kit has an extra wire on the stator side of the harness. It has a brown wire( I am assuming a ground) that needs be attached somewhere inside the stator housing. Old stator did not have that wire, new instructions do not show where to attach that wire. Please help. I am almost done and ready to try and fire but I can't figure out where to attach. Can I just attach it with one of the bolts that holds the wire bracket in place?? It isn't long enough to attach somewhere else???

also, there was a little fluid that came out(1/2 cup). What and where is that fluid from?? Or is it just water trhat has eneterd from the past. It is thin and black looking.

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This wire mounts on the outside recoil bolt near the harness plug OR if too short for that,mount under the metal hold down bracket bolt for the stator wires! Fluid? Water,oil? If oil could be oil seal behind stator seeping? Or could be a little water seeping past the cover? The 600 stator harness kit is a little different versus the 700 kit. OPT

Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Just got back in and it fired up right away. Thanks again for help.I can't believe the amount of money you have saved me with my numerous repairs. It looked like oil in the cover. I will have to keep an eye on that.I have had the water pump seal and oil seal replaced previuosly. The new stator an flywheel seem louder but it started quick and is running OK.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hopefully NO more electrical problems! Good luck OPT