Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Need Help With Reverse Gear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Reverse Gear!

Bought a 2000 xplorer 400 4x4. When I bought it the guy said it grinds in reverse but when I test drove it, it was fine. After a lot of work i got it started and attempted to drive it today. High and low are good but put it in reverse and give it gas to move and it grinds like a bi***** and slowly clunkers back. I removed linkage rods and turn with pliers to make sure it was fully going in gear and still the same thing. What do you guys think may be my problem. What confuses me is that just last week when I bought it, it went in reverse fine, but he did mention it grinds (guess i got lucky)?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check your drive sprockets for any broken/worn down teeth along with too much chain slack. If these check out, then you could have some internal trans problems(since you said you used vice grips to make sure it was in reverse) such as ground down dogs on reverse gear and the engagement gear along with possible "silent chain" stretch. Chain stretch can cause grinding,jumping teeth on internal gears also. Plus the best way to adjust the linkage is to have the shifter in neutral,loosen the lock nuts on the linkage rod ends at the shifter box end,remove the nuts holding the linkage arms to the shift box, turn linkage ends to where they drop straight back into the shift box levers with NO binding or pulling,then tighten lock nuts and replace the two linkage nuts. OPT

Old 02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help opt, was hoping you'd chime in. Would a worn sprocket or loose chain cause this to happen only in reverse because high and low it's good. If it's the silent chain, dog gear, or fork, how hard/time/special tools and price to fix? Thanks for the help

Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by carralo1
Thanks for the help opt, was hoping you'd chime in. Would a worn sprocket or loose chain cause this to happen only in reverse because high and low it's good. If it's the silent chain, dog gear, or fork, how hard/time/special tools and price to fix? Thanks for the help
Don't really think so,but sprockets were an area to check! Takes more time to get the transmission out than to really split the transmission,but if you get a manual it will show you,plus just take pictures,etc as you tear it down to help with reassembly. ALWAYS replace the silent chain for sure! Just check all the gears for excess wear on the engagement dogs, shift forks,along with bearings that may be worn and feel rough. Plus replace the seals. Check Cycle Parts Warehouse on your model,they have about the cheapest OEM parts. OPT

Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Transmission is split, have new silent chain. I need to know how to get to it to replace. Please help im so close

Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Manual will show you pictures and steps better than I can tell you,BUT the the reverse shaft, hi/low shaft and the output shaft have to be knocked out of the case,the bell cranks disconnected from the sliding gears, and when you have them out the old chain can be removed,BUT there is a sequence that you have to go through to install the new chain as it is hard to try to stuff all three shafts back in the case at the same time! Just download a manual,even a Clymer will help if you are stumped! OPT