Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 2004 Magnum 330 4x4 no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 2004 Magnum 330 4x4 no power

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the board and I have read a number of the posts on problems like this. I currently do not have power when I turn the key to anything on the ATV (including the instrument panel and winch). This has happened several times and magically it starts working again. This time it has been a couple of week. Here is what I have checked.

• Battery voltage ~13v
  • No visible shorted wires.
  • I have voltage on the top of the solenoid ~13v
  • No voltage to the starter lead of the solenoid.
  • If I test between the red/white wire on the solenoid and positive battery terminal ~13v
  • Checked the kill switch and cleaned all contacts (external and internal)
  • I have ~13v to one of the pins on the ignition harness. (not sure which one but I believe black/red)
  • I have power to the first two leads on input to the black box mounted on the front of the ATV.
I am at a complete loss and I don't know where to go from here. I am sure the dealer would love to just replace parts, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money.

Thanks,
Ken

Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! More than likely the problem is the ecm module #4010944 shorting out.This module controls the fan and charging among other things and can cause problems(you can have power going in ,but not out!). This module was not under the general ecm module recall affecting most 2004 to 2006 models,but can still go out! Huge ATV Recall by Polaris - Sportsman and Scrambler This is a black finned module located under the front panel. Look here under your model under "electrical". Browse Cheapest place I've found on this is Cycle Parts Warehouse (around $175),but check around. OPT

Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much. Is there anyway to test the Ecm ? Can I verify there is no power coming out from certain pins ?

Thanks again

Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've been asked that question a lot! Polaris sent a test board to all dealers that worked on the same principle as a load tester for batteries. The load tester when hooked into the ecm put it under a load and would show good or bad. "ALL" of them really at the time were bad,regardless of the readings as we found out later when American made modules were substituted for the Chinese black ones. We had to return the testers to Polaris when the full scale recall happened. You may end up with an updated module when you order this number(4010944) or simply receive an exact replacement. Doesn't show an updated ecm part number on any website that I've seen for the 2004 Magnum 330. OPT

Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks..

Anything else I should think about checking before I drop it off at the dealer ?

UGH

Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by seibert77
Thanks..

Anything else I should think about checking before I drop it off at the dealer ?

UGH
Can't think of any thing else of hand OTHER than making sure the 20 amp sealed circuit breaker close to the battery is ok(has power on the wires each side of the pouch) This can cause intermittent power to the ignition,gauge,etc also!! If in doubt slice the pouch open and check the connections in case they are corroded,not making a good contact. If this turns out to be the problem you can find a replacement at any auto store for about 5 to 6 bucks! A lot cheaper than an ecm module! OPT