Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Re: 96 polaris 400 xplorer 2stroke...lost my key :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Re: 96 polaris 400 xplorer 2stroke...lost my key :(

So, long and short of it is I lost my key. I was able to unload my quad using the pull start itself (since this is a public forum I don't want to disclose how I did this)

But now my electric start won't work, is there any way I can wire in a switch to replace the ignition tumbler?

Like I said before this is a public forum so if any one is uncomfortable posting how I'd do this on here could you pm me?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Best advice is to just buy the new switch and key.

Appreciate you not saying how you got it started. When someone does that, they basically have just given a way to start our quads without being the actual owner.

Used ignition or a new one is around $90.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

Okay I will do that. That looks like about a foot of wire to where those connectors are. What would be the easiest way to get to them?

I have a front rack on my quad so I don't know If I'd even be able to take the whole plastic part off.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just take the four screws out of the headlight pod to get to the switch mounting. Pull the 4 screws holding the front rack and move it out of the way. Pop up and remove the front panel(held in place by 4 wire clips) to gain access to the terminal board. New switch mounts in the lower pod,wires just route down to the color coded terminals on the board. OR you can install the switch,grab the top part of the front panel and pull up to fish wires down and plug in. Panel may warp and not fit right if you take this short cut and try to push the panel back down.

Attached Thumbnails Re: 96 polaris 400 xplorer 2stroke...lost my key :(-blpnseqbwkkgrhqqokioetlrjtzzbl18bjftw_3.jpg  
Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Okay, thanks for the help guys!

Old 03-22-2016, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

I have a new issue that seems to have come up. My 4wd and headlights don't work. I am still waiting on the ignition, could this issue be happening because the key is not there completing a circuit?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Probably so... Has to have 12 volts for awd and lights. You just hot wired the switch for the engine. Ignition is magneto triggered and doesn't need the battery..

Old 04-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

Okay I got a new ignition in, 4x4 and the headlights work very good now.

The major issue I ran into on my last ride was the front brakes stopped working. I opened up the reservoir and it looked about 1/4 full so I topped it off. It now seems to be working good, I looked over the lines and I can't find a leak.

The brake lever itself has lots of pressure to it so I feel like there isnčt a leak. Could fluid have just slowly leaked out of the reservoir.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's been awhile since you or anyone has checked,fluid can slowly evaporate over time from heat. I'd check the calipers closely for any seepage. If there is,caliper seals can still be ordered. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus I'd go ahead and flush this system with fresh dot 4.

Quick Reply: Re: 96 polaris 400 xplorer 2stroke...lost my key :(