Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

98 sportsman 500 rear suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 sportsman 500 rear suspension issues

Hi guys/
I have a 98 sportsman 500. My issue is that after I ride it the rear suspension is bottomed out. If I grab the rear rack and lift it back up everything works as it should. I have removed the sway bar links, tires and rear shocks and worked the suspension by hand while it was on a jack. The right side was smooth but the left side is binding up. I removed the top bolt that holds upper A arm to the hub and both upper and lower A arms work fine no binding. When I put that bolt back in the suspension begins to bind. If I pick up on the A arms they will hold themselves up and not fall down until I push them back down. My question is what could be going on? Could I have a bad bushing somewhere and need a bushing kit? Could it be blown shocks not pushing suspension back down? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Original shocks? If so that can be part of it along with weakened springs over the years along with possible bushings that need replacing. I'd start at the shocks and possibly some heavy duty springs and go from there.That alone may take care of the problem.