Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

Air Filter Concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter Concern

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: supersonictoys

I am going to snorkel mine before it gets dirt past the filter as I am hearing they do and will take some how to photos and post them .</end quote></div>

I'm interested. I want a snorkel that does not take up any bed space and looks good. Of course any snorkel may cause problems with later accessories. But a snorkel is very badly needed. Will be very interested in your snorkel.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Snorkels are great when the tubing is properly sized for any increased lengths and friction losses, IMO. A lot of the designs that I've witnessed over the years take neither into account (thanks for your offer of pics.).

Old 07-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

make sure you put some grease on all the slip-on connections for the air intake. The grease will help stop the dust at these points.

Pro Rider

make sure you put some grease on all the slip-on connections for the air intake. The grease will help stop the dust at these points.

Pro Rider

Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

I agree and that this is especially important in regards to the the Rzr. When I shut the door that supposedly pushes the end of this filter in; I by no means feel the end of the filter giving any resistance to the filter door and often the filter is already canted downwards due to gravity acting on the filter itself.
The aftermarket guys claim that this is a bit of a tight fit on theirs; yet I believe that it needs a door shim of some kind (in the middle) to properly snug this up on mine. Mine also needs shimming on the filter throat itself to prevent this drooping.(there is simply no way to determine just how/where the filter has seated with the absence of door pressure).
The Sportsman filter that I have in my '99 is both SUPPORTED lengthwise in the filter box and allows the (IMO) needed clamp to be installed to boot.(hence, hotdogmb's inistence that one had better put some grease on there to help overcome this).

Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to make mine out of black plastic pipe fittings and will use pipe glue to seal all fittings 100%. should I need a flexable connection somewhere or a strange angle that I cant find in the plumbing section I will use large diameter pre molded radiator hoses and cut out the angles I need from them. the hard part will be making a unit that will be decent looking and will not allow rain to enter and will not take up any bed space and that will be completely free flowing. mine will be done by the end of next week. I was also thinking that you could even add a second free flowing filter on the intake end of the snorkel if you wanted some extra protection.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with; as I remember this debate being very long and involved regarding the Rhino years ago. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

A solution for our lack of access to the filter attachment point inside the airbox might be as follows:

1) Determine approximately where the filter connection sits in the airbox as related to a horizontal line drawn rearwards toward the wall of the airbox itself

2) Drill a small hole in this box the size of a long screwdriver shank or larger and pick up a plug-type soft rubber grommet to fit the hole.

3) Carry a small tube of sealant to reattach the grommet each time you change the filter; allowing the clamp bands sent with our Uni filters to actually be used; assuring positive sealing at the intake throat.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Check with your dealer. I believe there's a bulletin with some modifications to the intake system. The reason the filters get so darn dirty is because they pick up air from behind the cover that separates the engine from the cab, instead of the front. You need to seal the cover on top, near the intake so it only picks up air from the cab area. There's lots of information about this at prcforum.com

Quick Reply: Air Filter Concern