Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

RZR or Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RZR or Ranger

I am looking to get rid of my 700 (melting the seat, but that is a different thread all in itself), and getting a side by side. I have some reservations about both the Ranger XP and the RZR:

1. Where I shotgun deer hunt, some of the trails are tight for the 700 and not sure if the Ranger XP would fit. The RZR would definitely be better for this.

2. Back home I hunt duck and goose hunt with my buddy behind the house in muddy fields. Right now I am dragging my 6 1/2' x 12' trailer behind the 700 full of decoys and blinds, etc. The Ranger XP would be better for this.

Some of the the questions are, so please if you have some opinions that would be great!

1. How functional is the bed on the RZR for hunting and everything else, is it just a glorified rack. Would you be able to put a 200 pound deer in the bed and the rest of your huntiing gear and not feel like it would flip over on you riding it through the woods and hills.
2. I am a big boy (~260#) and I hunt with another guy the same size, how much would the suspension sag with us in either one with the trailer full of decoys.

I hate to say it, but I wish that Polaris made a rhino sized side by side....seems like a good mixture of both the RZR and Ranger XP. Speed ain't my thing anymore (unless the beer/whiskey starts talking at deer camp), just versatility and reliability.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Range Rover
Default RZR or Ranger

I have the rzr, and love it. I have friends with the XP. I think if you can get the XP through your tight hunting spots, and are not looking for speed you would be better off with the XP. I was surprised at the spots my buddies could get there XPs into. Being a bigger guy with bigger friends you would have a much easier time getting in and out of the XP over the rzr. You would fit but would be cussing trying to get your legs in. Also the box on the XP is more what you are looking for. I'm not knocking the rzr. Just think the XP would work better for you. Hope this helps!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default RZR or Ranger

That is what I was thinking, I am only 5'11", but a big boy indeed. I was kinda thinking about the rhino, as much I hate to admit, bout the right size and with more of a useful bed!

Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default RZR or Ranger

I got to demo a rhino from yamaha this summer on some trails in Minnesota. I can tell you it was a great ride and we went on all the trails the grizzlys and sportsmans went on. Now between two trees 50", thats a different story. I think a polaris sportsman is 48"wide, a RZR is 50", a Rhino is 54", and a Ranger is 58". The new prowler with the 700 efi really looks good with the tilt steering, detroit locking rear diff and front and rear recievers, but it only comes in silver and its 59" wide.

We just got a 700 XP on Wednesday. It made it on all our atv trails with me 260#s and my dad 250#, but the box and seat were full of sticks we broke off after the ride. I cant complain with how handy it really is.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Range Rover
Default RZR or Ranger

The ranger xp would be better for you, as long as it fits through the trail. The width of the rzr is the only advantage it has over the xp

Old 01-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer
Default RZR or Ranger

I ended up with the RZR. I know I am sacrificing some bed space, but I didn't have a bed on the sporty and the width is a big factor for me. I do miss the storage that was on the sporty under the front rack. Oh well, so far me and the whole family like it what little riding we did around the house on sunday.

Man the throttle is touchy on this thing, is there a quick fix to it? Also, does anyone have the half windshield, we got one the instructions are different than what the picture shows in the book, wondering how you installed yours.

Few questions, is that front storage box somewhat protected from the elements (mud, water). Has anyone installed the Warn winch RT30 on theirs, got it for half price, but dealer wouldn't put it on, sounds like a good excuse to drink a 12 pack out in the barn!

Thanks for the input all.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default RZR or Ranger

the throttle is real touchy, there is stiffer spring made,I found it online but cant remember who it was, I bent the ends out at about a 45 degree angle on mine and it made it a little stiffer. works just fine.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default RZR or Ranger

I have 06 xp it all depends on what your doing hill climbing I can tell you for a fact the Ranger is hard to beat. I have been down some single track paths that I never would have thought I could get in and out of. As far as the rhino they are great for some things but like to tip over entirely too much, in a ranger full size you have to try to tip it I have only seen 2 people flip and honestly they both deserved it. The rzr is great machine but is mainly meant to go fast while it can go just about anywhere you do give up ground clearance which is hard in rocky trails. All and all it is hard to beat the xp 700. Just my two cents

Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Range Rover
Default RZR or Ranger

I have the spring also. You can find them on ebay for a round $15.00 shipped (maybe cheaper). The half windshield installs with the clamps around the roll cage and behind the windshield. The winches are a little tricky to get the mount up in there, but very doable. I ran the wires under the center console and mounted the solenoid under the front hood (driest place I could think of). I installed three different winches on RZRs, and with two of them I had to relocate the coolant line because of the bolt for the winch cable (afraid it would put a hole in it).

Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default RZR or Ranger

Are the instructions that came with the winch worth a shat, or is it better to use judgement? The winch I got is coming from Polaris, and it is said that it is for the RZR, is it the same one as yours

Quick Reply: RZR or Ranger