Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

ATV vs UTV

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV vs UTV

Well you see i currently own a Raptor 350 2008 (very sporty) about the same top speed as a rzr. i love my quad but i am thinking of trading it in for a rzr i can't afford one without selling my raptor . So i would really be so thankful for some advise on how you feel about you'r rzr compered to an ATV. If i buy the rzr will it be a vehicle that will carry me around or will i have a the power in a rzr to to pull it around into powerslides or drift's like i can with my raptor?How does it corner? does it take skill to take the rzr down smooth trail's at high speeds? and do i need to keep on the gas to blast uphill's ? and the most important question of all how sporty is it will it feel as sporty as my quad and will the rzr be like driving a sport's car off road? and also is as trail capable as they say it is or do you get stuck alot

i will be very greatful for you'r opinion

Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV vs UTV

You are comparing apples to oranges and unfortunately you are in a no win situation. If you sell the Raptor and buy the RZR your going to wish you had the Raptor. If you do not sell the Raptor and get the RZR you are going wonder what you are missing.

The RZR has more than something to carry you around, but its not going to do as big drifts as the Raptor. It corners VERY different than the Raptor but is just as fun, a blast on dirt with the wheel cranked and stomping on the gas. You have a sports car on the dirt, the RZR is a sports SUV on the dirt.

The RZR will drive through anything the 2wd Raptor will and probably alot more. It has more ground clearence, it's 4wd, has plenty of power. But it begs you to push it a little further and when it's stuck, it's STUCK. 1000 pounds of dead weight. (I have been told, beyond getting the Raptor "stuck" in the sand dunes I have never had either stuck...) Personally I have NO interest in getting the Raptor stuck, it would be like getting a Ferrari stuck, just not right. Pushing the RZR that far sounds like a great time, just have not had the situation YET.

To me driving the RZR is a lot like a large jet ski on land. Throttle response is similar, turning can give the same feeling, the ride is similar...

Old 08-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV vs UTV

I'd rather have a RZR then a raptor 350..

Look around you can pick up a used 400ex or raptor 350 for a couple grand.

Get the RZR!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV vs UTV

I second getting the RZR.
you could find a yamaha warrior even cheaper than the raptor.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV vs UTV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lollydog04

Well you see i currently own a Raptor 350 2008 (very sporty) about the same top speed as a rzr. i love my quad but i am thinking of trading it in for a rzr i can't afford one without selling my raptor . So i would really be so thankful for some advise on how you feel about you'r rzr compered to an ATV. If i buy the rzr will it be a vehicle that will carry me around or will i have a the power in a rzr to to pull it around into powerslides or drift's like i can with my raptor?How does it corner? does it take skill to take the rzr down smooth trail's at high speeds? and do i need to keep on the gas to blast uphill's ? and the most important question of all how sporty is it will it feel as sporty as my quad and will the rzr be like driving a sport's car off road? and also is as trail capable as they say it is or do you get stuck alot

i will be very greatful for you'r opinion</end quote></div>

Like keyzs says you are comparing apples to oranges and also a totally different price range......

it will powerslide and drift but totally different than an ATV and with stock width you better make sure you don't roll it. Most new drivers roll the RZR trying to do just what you talk about.

To blast up a hill yes. To crawl up a hil now. and with 4wd you can crwal up a hill. You can't do that on a 2wd quad.

it is very trail capable. But when you do get it stuck it will be much harder to get out....... think winch.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

i sold my 06 raptor 350 about 2 months ago and bought a rzr. i will say that there are times that i miss my raptor when im out with the fellows and they have there atv's. i will say that im having a blast on my new toy. The rzr will do anything that the atv will do plus more. since i got my rzr and toke some fellows for a ride, there will be more atv's sold and rzr's purchased.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really a hard decision to make for you. I will add that after I had my atv's stolen, I bought a Rhino. I tricked it out, but it was still boring compared to an atv. After a year, I sold it and bought atv's again. I don't miss the rhino. I know the rzr is a little more sporty than the rhino, but it's still a utv. Limited on trails around here due to the width. The one thing I really didn't like is that when my wife rides with me on an atv, I can't hear her unless we stop. On a utv, she babbles the whole time! LOL! Seriously, though, like natural117 said, there will be times when you will miss your raptor. If it were me, I would keep the raptor and wait until you could afford the rzr, then buy it and have both. That would be the ideal situation.....

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think I would be happy with just an ATV or Just a RZR.
My Xplorer goes places the RZR can't and I can throw the ATV around. but the RZR is a flat out blast to drive and I use it to to go between towns (AG license)
They are both awesome in there own ways. If i could only have one I would pick the ATV for the thrills.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with a lot of what's been said here. It would be very hard to choose between the two, they're VERY different. I've ridden both ATVs and the RZR-S we have at work. The S is tons of fun. My coworker and I were powersliding it in the wet parking lot one day, so they're definitely capable of powersliding.

I would also agree to the ideas on here about selling your Raptor and getting a Warrior or something for $1500 or so. They're essentially the same as the Rap 350, just different plastics.

Oh and I've also ridden a Rhino before and they aren't very fun at all compared to the RZR. So don't make your decision based on the guy who compared it to a Rhino.

If money is tight, you should try to keep your Raptor and look for a used RZR. I know there are a lot of different versions of the RZRs even within model years, so I would recommend going over to www.rzrforums.net and asking what to look for.

Sorry if this message is written poorly, I'm super tired.