Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

'08 Ranger 6x6 700 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 Ranger 6x6 700 EFI

Hey,

I'm in the military and have the "pleasure" of maintaining 14 2008 Ranger 6x6 vehicles on the side. We rely heavily on these in the desert environment to get Civil Engineer work done, but lately 8 of 14 are running horribly. These were just put to work in 22May08, and they're bogging down, backfiring, and sometimes not at all. I've completed oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plug, spark plug wire, injector changes, and nothing. Some of them idle fine, but step on the gas pedal, and it dies, or won't get up to speed. The plugs looked fime, so it can't be from loading up from fuel. I have the Didital Wrench computer coming, but these are only 6 months old. What's going to happen in a year? Thanks!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 AM
Trailblazer

With respect to the go/no go problem you are having with the Ranger 6x6. It seems there were many made with wiring harnesses that were too short. the leads from the computer to the throttle position sensor can pull apart inside the connector. The leads will actually seperate from the pins inside the connector and give the appearance that they are fine. To fix mine, I removed the pins from the computer side of the connector, seperated them from the leads, soldered extensions onto those leads and then reassembled the pins onto the leads and then reinserted the pins back into the connector in their correct position.
It seems that the harnesses were built in such a way that they are under a strain causing the wires to seperate from the pins, or do so intermittantly, causing the machine to run rough, idle poorly, run extra lean, and at times refused to start.
Since I repaired mine I haven't had any further performance problems.
Just thought I'd add that Polaris Industries isn't interested in providing you with any helpful info. After six months the warranty is out and you either fix it yourself or pay a dealer, hopefully one who knows something, to monkey with it. I would highly suggest that you order the factory service manual that the dealerships use for servicing these machines, also the parts manual.
Good Luck. Arkieshooter?butch

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

try (prcforum.com)lot's of very good ranger info there,I'm sure they can help!!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am betting an electrical issue as well. Check the wiring harness and then check every wire that passes over any metal. My 04 was running the exact same way as you describe including just running great and then shutting off. Turned out there were two wires under the seat that had rubbed through and were shorting out.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: arkieshooter

With respect to the go/no go problem you are having with the Ranger 6x6. It seems there were many made with wiring harnesses that were too short. the leads from the computer to the throttle position sensor can pull apart inside the connector. The leads will actually seperate from the pins inside the connector and give the appearance that they are fine. To fix mine, I removed the pins from the computer side of the connector, seperated them from the leads, soldered extensions onto those leads and then reassembled the pins onto the leads and then reinserted the pins back into the connector in their correct position.

It seems that the harnesses were built in such a way that they are under a strain causing the wires to seperate from the pins, or do so intermittantly, causing the machine to run rough, idle poorly, run extra lean, and at times refused to start.

Since I repaired mine I haven't had any further performance problems.

Just thought I'd add that Polaris Industries isn't interested in providing you with any helpful info. After six months the warranty is out and you either fix it yourself or pay a dealer, hopefully one who knows something, to monkey with it. I would highly suggest that you order the factory service manual that the dealerships use for servicing these machines, also the parts manual.

Good Luck. Arkieshooter?butch</end quote></div>