Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

06 ranger 700xp bogging, rough running, cold start problems, drive belt issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 ranger 700xp bogging, rough running, cold start problems, drive belt issues

Hey all, I am new to the forum, in fact this is my first post!

I have a polaris 700xp that we bought used with 900 hours on it back in march last year. The thing ran real good for about 3 months, then disaster. I have two questions

1-
Engine started idleing rough fouling plugs and haveing dead spots in the gas pedal. I lived with this for a little while, then I took off the throttle body and sent it to the local dealer for TPS replacement thinking that was what was wrong. The dealer confirmed that the TPS was junk and replaced the sensor ( the dealer we bought it from would only replace the whole throttle body, not just the sensor). so, the thing ran good for a little while, but then I started having problems with rough running at idle plug foulding, and no power. Then I found out a little later on that my throttle cable was going bad and not allowing me to go to full throttle (ran out of adjustment because of wear). so, I replaced the cable. while I was there I cleaned the MAF sensor (for the 3rd time) changed plugs (started running NGK eqivelent), and removed the engine air prefilter up in front seeing as how it really serves no purpose if you do proper maintenance- plus it's about impossible to clean. after doing the few things, the ranger came ALIVE power wise. it has never had this much power. the problem I have now is when I start it cold it will run about 15 seconds stumble and die I'll start it up again and give it a little gas just for a second to help it warm up, then it'll stay running. and also when at part throttle it now acts boggy at certain points but if I go to full thottle, I still have full power. I pulled the plugs the other day just to see if they were fouling again, but to my suprise both plugs appeared to be ok! they were black around the base, but the porcelin was a whitish color with the electrode being a ash color part way up, and white on the tip. so, I put the plugs back in and have continued to keep driving every day. lately at idle it will start to surge a little to the point where it will try and push the machine forward if in gear. which makes it really hard to get it out of gear or into gear again. I talked to the local polaris shop today about it and theytold me to check the wiring harness behind the engine for rubbing points or visable damage due to the harnesses being to short as well as check fuel pressure and ECM codes. didn't find anything wrong with any of them.

My hunch is that the new TPS sensor is not perfectly calibrated and is causing a slightly lean mix which is causing hard staring problems when cold, as well as rough choppy idle and boggy spots due to lean mixture while at part throttle. could this be possible since this unit has no oxygen sensor and it's only two imputs for air and fuel are a MAF sensor TPS sensor? I have worked as a diesel truck engine mechanic for 6 years, so I'd like to think that I'm pretty handy at working on any engine, but this thing is really stumping me.....

Does anyone know if I can use a multimeter to re-calibrate this TPS sensor?

Question 2-
a couple months after we got this unit I was operating at WOT for about a couple miles on a hot day and BOOM! Drive belt broke!

I took it apart and found a shredded belt. I removed all the pieces and made sure there was none in the clutches. I replaced the belt and removed the air inlet filter for better air flow. ran a new belt until that winter and on the day I needed it most, it was blizzarding and -20 degrees out. I had let the unit warm up for about 20 minutes and then took off from the house. about 1/4 mile up the road, and BANG! broken belt again! took it apart and found that the new belt had snapped right on a rib! no shredding, just a solid break...

What is going on here? can I not put any kind of substantial load on this machine or operate it at WOT for extended periods of time? What can I do with it?

With belts costing $100 each, all the profits this machine is supposed to be saving me by not driving a pickup is going out the window and fast!!!

Hopefully you guys can help me with some of this stuff!!!!

Thanks!

I took the cover off again and found that the new belt had